Madonna, I feel...

James

...sad for her. I´m not a fan, she does have/had talent, but imho she was everything wrong with what our culture was evolving into during her run, and I think it can be argued she was  the principal founding father of the smut brigade that still rules our music industry, at least to a degree.

Having said that, even though I did not like her schtick, hated a lot of her commentary on politics,.. there was always something I liked about Madonna,..she was my age, she was bold...and she could write a good song when she wanted to.

And having said that, I feel for her re: her horrible disfiguring of herself, and the fact she is being laughed at and dissed across the world in a hideous way. It´s not right the treatment she is receiving, and I do feel for her on that front.

From another angle, this episode of Madonna´s highlights how so many celebrities are empty inside it seems. The only reason there is so much silicone and uber plastic surgery is because these women (and some men) never found value in themselves ..within themselves. Nobody would do what they´ve done to their physical appearance if they were secure as human beings. But it seems they put a tremendous amount of weight on their looks/sensuality with respect to their self esteem, ie: they´ve never dealt with the fact we age and never learned to love their selves from within. 

So many are hollow inside it seems. Even class acts like Hedy Lamar - who is the last person you´d think would be a slave to her looks given her quasi genius, toughness and genuineness - messed her face up as she entered middle age. And so many more.

I know it´s hard when the crowd has lauded a person for their beauty, talent etc for years, and then a person loses those things they were lauded for with the aging process, ....something being hard isn´t an excuse.

Anyway, that´s what has come to mind since seeing the Madonna thing plastered all over everywhere.

• Like 2

Was just conversing with my dentist about the use of Botox and such.  A number of his employees are using it, and he is upset.

I told him that I pay my veterinarian good money to vaccinate my horses and cow against botulism, so why the heck would I pay some physician to inject me with that same toxin.

Unfortunately, there is much more pressure on female entertainers than their male counterparts.

Prime example is Deborah Iyall of Romeo Void.  Great singer, but due to her weight problem, the record company execs pulled their support when the video first aired, just because she wasn't a dish like Debbie Harry.

I was disappointed to see that Madonna drank the Kool-Aid.

Italian women tend to age beautifully naturally.  Look at Sophia Loren.

But, I must compliment her on her excellent choice of costume, a beautiful vintage Thierry Mugler equestriennne ensemble from his 1997 couture collection.

• Like 2

An observation, not a judgement call, but Madonna has gained some weight which is perfectly normal for a woman in her sixties, but I was surprised.  She has always been so fit.  I wonder what's happening in her world.

If you notice the jacket of her Mugler ensemble, the bottom snaps cannot be snapped.  The whole point of wearing Mugler, especially something that was designed when Thierry was alive, is to showcase a woman's figure.  The snaps should snap.

Still, she carries the ensemble well.

The photo from the Condé Nast Archive is from the 1997 Mugler show with the same ensemble modeled by the ever fabulous Eva Herzigová.

Screenshot_20230209-222647.png

I saw Madonna on her very first tour and I thought she was strikingly gorgeous. Not a fan of the direction she has chosen to take her looks to, especially the eyebrow thing,  but the interesting thing about her musically was always that she tried to go in very different directions. You could never accuse her of copying her last hit to have another. Seeing her in the “Like a Prayer” video? Oh my! Me definitely likey! 

• Like 1

NOT a fan of Madonna BUT I do have "Something To Remember" (love ballads) (1995 compilation except "Crazy For You" from 1985 is the edited version from Apple iTunes), "Ray Of Light" (1997), "Music" (2000), "Santa Baby" (Remake of the Eartha Kitt 1954 song) (from 1987 "A Very Special Christmas" CD various artists) & "I Want You" (Remake of the late Marvin Gaye 1976 song from "Marvin Gaye Tribute" 1996 various artists) but that is all that I have.