Every moment has a song…

Lew Bundles

Hey, this is really great. Superb find, Moderator Lew! I love the dissection of "Go All the Way." The piece that was most striking, and I don't know if I never noticed it or if I'd forgotten, was the "Please Please Me" bit.

I love this whole blog site, and had never seen it. Kudos to the author, who I think (per the "About" link) is somebody called Ed Cyphers. He's got some outstanding material on songs and songwriting, so it looks like fun for some late-night nosing around.

• Like 2

Great share, RCT. Thank you! 

Whatever Eric was intending (even if Lennon & McCartney were the furthest thing from his mind), I don't think people were crazy for saying they hear a Beatles influence in "Go All the Way." 

Regardless, it remains a killer song. I thought Ed Cyphers pulled off a great line with this assessment:

"Amazingly, this Frankenstein of assembled stolen song parts turned out to be not a mess of ugly stitches, but a seamless pop classic in its own right, perhaps even the equal of those that inspired it."

(Caveat: I wouldn't have used the word "stolen" — something like "borrowed" is more fair. Or "this Frankenstein of song influences....")

Eric may have gotten the idea for the chord progression on the GATW bridge from a Bread song (I've also tried to identify the song without any luck), but the "C'mon's" are right out of "Please, Please Me." There is no Bread song with that lyric in it. My guess if Eric was attempting to diffuse the intense "too Beatlesque" criticism in this interview that the band was getting at the time.

• Like 1

Interesting point, that comment about Eric nicking a Bread song for the chord progression in the bridge of "Go All the Way." It made me search out the Bread "Top 10" thread here, where I found this comment I wrote about "Make It with You": "The soft-rock cousin of 'Go All the Way'?" 

Of course, I was talking about the lyrical similarity. 

Here's the Bread thread: 

• Like 1