Best Of Vol. 2

Craig Benfer

I know quite a few on here, like me, discovered the Raspberries on The Best Of feat. Eric Carmen. The tracks included... Go All The Way, Tonight, Ecstasy, I Wanna Be WIth You, I Can Remember... Overnight Sensation (Hit Record), Let's Pretend, Driving Around, Starting Over, Don't Wanna Say Goodbye.

If you were in charge of making a Best Of volume 2, what ten songs would you select and in what order would they appear on the album? You can ONLY pick 10 songs. I'll let you decide whether or not your next volume continues as "feat. Eric Carmen."

• Like 2

Side 1 :

1. Cruisin Music
2. All thru the night (...pretty great opening of side 1 with these 2)
3. Waiting
4. I saw the light
5. On the Beach

Side 2:

1. I can hardly believe you´re mine
2. Party´s Over
3. Makin it Easy
4. With you in my life
5. If you change your mind

• Like 1

Raspberries' Best Vol. 2 — love it, Craig. I'm definitely including the tagline "Featuring Eric Carmen."

Here's where I net out (without looking at the responses above mine). The first Raspberries Best was all Eric as songwriter. Here, I've got a Dave and a Wally, though it's so hard to leave out "I Don't Know What I Want."

I think "Play On" would be a great album-opener. I like "Waiting" to close out an album side. Side 2 kicks off with two of my three favorite Raspberries songs, "I Can Hardly..." and "On the Beach." "If You Change Your Mind" has that nice, long tag, perfect for closing out the album. 

SIDE 1
1. Play On
2. Cruisin' Music
3. Should I Wait
4. Nobody Knows
5. Waiting

SIDE 2
1. I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine
2. On the Beach 
3. I'm a Rocker
4. Party's Over
5. If You Change Your Mind

• Like 1

Well, I think I have a flaw in my Raspberries' Best Vol. 2 fantasy album lineup. Not to be anal-retentive, but Eric Carmen was the voice of Raspberries.... so "Play On" (Scott McCarl) shouldn't be my leadoff track. I had in my head the live reunion version, which of course Eric sang, since Scott wasn't invited to be part of it. as you all know, "Play On" was a Carmen/McCarl composition; either or both knew how to belt it out.

Be that as it may, my new lineup is below. I like having "On the Beach" and "Cruisin' Music" back-to-back — I think that's how I originally had it. And... since "Nobody Knows" is the great 45 rpm single that never was, why not lead off with it? 

Craig, great idea, but where's your lineup?

SIDE 1 
1. Nobody Knows (lead vocal: Carmen)
2. On the Beach (Carmen)
3. Cruisin' Music (Carmen)
4. Should I Wait (Smalley)
5. Waiting (Carmen)

SIDE 2
1. I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine (Carmen)
2. I'm a Rocker (Carmen)
3. Play On (McCarl)
4. Party's Over (Bryson)
5. If You Change Your Mind (Carmen)

• Like 1

My volume 2 includes songs sung by Dave & Scott. I made this list many months ago (maybe even a year ago) I remember originally opening Side 2 with Party's Over and ending it with I Don't Know What I Want (like Kirk), but I switched the two songs because it just seemed too fitting to start the album with Play On and end it with Party's Over.

Side 1:

1. Play On
2. Making It Easy
3. Nobody Knows
4. I Saw The Light
5. Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak

Side 2:

1. I Don't Know What I Want
2. If You Change Your Mind
3. I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine
4. I Reach for The Light
5. Party's Over

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that my first instinct was "Play On" as the leadoff track on this fantasy best-of-vol.-2 album... and that after I did my juggling (based on having an Eric-sung number first), both Kirk and James landed where I did originally. "Play On"! Yes, it's indeed a great leadoff track. I defer to the majority (and my first attempt)!

He meant, "LC, I think you meant Kirk and Craig..." 

Talking about "Play On" as opening track, I had said: "...both Kirk and James landed where I did originally."

But I meant, "...both Kirk and Craig" landed where I did originally."

Got it now? 🙂

• Thanks 1