HOT: Elton John farewell show livestream, 11/20/22

LC

Are the Elton fans here aware of his Farewell from Dodger Stadium livestream? I somehow missed news of the show, but picked up on it just in time. Show is 11/20 (this Sunday). I never got to any of EJ's farewell-tour (Yellow Brick Road) shows. So this will have to do.

https://wmgk.com/2022/11/16/elton-john-how-to-watch-farewell-from-dodger-stadium-livestream/?itm_source=parsely-api

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am an Elton John freako, but I don´t have a big interest in seeing him live in this phase of his career. Really I haven´t been a big fan of Elton live since the 1980s. He´s still good, and I still respect him, but he´s evolved into a different Elton...or something. It was the same with RUSH and America, groups I love and respect, but which evolved away from me and what I loved about them.

The Elton John of August, 1976, who I saw at Richfield Coloseum outside of Cleveland...that Elton put on the best concert I´ve ever seen, and only Raspberries 2005 and Status Quo 1976 even come close really.

But thank you LC, it is very cool of you to notify us, I was not aware of this upcoming show, and I may change my mind as it will be a sentimentally moving show, and still a high quality music show...I know.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, James. We have an image of Elton at a certain phase and it's perfect, so we don't want to mess with that. Maybe that's why I sort of skirted the issue of his Yellow Brick Road tour. I was wanting to go but never pulled the trigger. 

Even so, I'm really looking forward to this Sunday night show. I already have Disney Plus because of the Beatles' Get Back docu-series, so... I'll tune in. I'm thinking it'll be more emotional (for me!) than I'm expecting. For me, it'll be like an old friend "wrapping up" his career, and it'll be cool to see how those great songs of his have evolved and where he takes them now, at age 75. 

• Like 2

I think I'll send Elton the playlist he should use Sunday night.

(Note: After posting it with 30 songs, I added three more. Sorry, Elton. You have your whole retirement to rest, so you shouldn't mind doing "Sorry Seems...," "Lucy...," and "Goodbye.") 

1. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
2. The Bitch Is Back
3. Crocodile Rock
4. Philadelphia Freedom
5. Island GIrl
6. Don't Go Breaking My Heart
7. Candle in the Wind
8. Daniel
9. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
10. Border Song

11. I've Seen That Movie Too
12. Roy Rogers
13. All the Girls Love Alice
14. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
15. Harmony (to conclude a little GYBR section)
16. I'm Still Standing
17. Take Me to the Pilot
18. The Fox (just for me)
19. Little Jeannie
20. Sacrifice

21. The One
22. Border Song
23. Levon
24. Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
25. Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
26. Tiny Dancer
27. Your Song
28. Honky Cat 

Encores
28. Rocket Man
29. Someone Saved My Life Tonight
30. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (with Paul McCartney)
31. I Saw Her Standing There (with Paul McCartney)
32. Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
33. Goodbye

How's that? 

• Like 3

I’ve been fortunate enough to see EJ six or seven times in his career including once on this final tour. He was absolutely tremendous when I saw him a couple of months ago. Lots of rumors floating around that Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Billy Joel, etc. are going to show up at this. While I get the glitz of any of or all these three joining in,  I actually hope it’s not true because I think it will take away from Elton’s ‘s finale.  I’m truly hoping it’s Paul McCartney and they do “I saw her standing there” together  just like Elton did with John Lennon on John’s final live performance at MSG. I think that would be such perfect closure. 

• Like 2

I felt the same way Pat, when I saw Elton before the world shut down due to covid.  And I had also seen him 3 times before.  It was extremely emotional to watch him walk off that stage after he did "Your Song". Everyone around me, including me,  had  tears  streaming down their face.

• Like 2

LC... Impressive list I must say!   In all of his concerts that I was at, he always did "Your Song" as the very last Encore.

I would  include "We all Fall in Love Sometimes" ,  "Too Young"  and for a real kick  "Ball and Chain" ... Some can really identify with that one!  And Craig also loves it!

And as a real crowd pleaser, I think Kiki Dee should come out to sing "Don't Go Breaking my Heart." 💔

• Like 3

Great idea LC re: the proposed set list. I'll do one, but from the perspective that it's a show geared toward the serious Elton John fans....ie: song quality/merit rules the set list, which does not necessarily equate to the hits the casual fan wants to hear.

This is fun, here we go:

Opener: Grow some funk of your own

2. One Horse Town

3. Bite your lip

Slow down a little with some deeper masterpieces:

4. Levon

5. Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

6. We all fall in love sometimes / Curtains

7. Empty Garden

8. Someone Saved My Life Tonight

9. Long medley of best 80s, 90s and post year 2000 hits

Intermission

A short chronological trip thru the 70s:

10. Skyline Pigeon

11.  Your Song

12. Where to now St. Peter

13. Hercules

14. High Flying Bird

15. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

16. Bitter Fingers

17. Bullet in The Gun of Robert Ford

18.  Sorry Seems to be the hardest word

Finale:

19. Empty Sky

20. Have Mercy on the criminal

21. Saturday Night's Allright for Fighting

Encore:

22. Medley: Yell Help.......  (a ROCKIN VERSION)

23. Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding

2nd Encore:

24. Tonight....extending the song to 11 minutes by adding an intense 3 additional minutes of intense classical instrumentation that will be so great, and showcase Elton's uber talent at such an optimal peak level, that the audience will never forget this final number. 

• Like 2

Well-done, James. Great opener, amigo! That would be a killer show and would expose people to a host of Elton’s under-rhe-radar gems. Love it.

Good pacing too. I like having a bunch of ballads together, so you can sit back and soak in a mood. 

I notice you’re not working Elton quite as hard as I did: 24 numbers vs. my 33. And you were nice enough to give him an intermission so he could rest. I was slave-driving him straight through what would be a three-hour show. Sorry Elton! 

Rhonda, you play to audiences…. Got an EJ set list?

• Like 1

Well... How about I tell you EJ songs that were on my own set list:

Skyline Pigeon

Daniel

Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word 

High Flying Bird

We all fall in Love Sometimes 

Your Song 

Sacrifice 

The One

(Skyline Pigeon is a personal fave... It builds continuously till a beautiful climactic finish.. but requires polished strong vocals).

LC and James...your set lists are great...I gave a few suggestions earlier... I certainly can't compete with the experts on playlists or setlists here... I bow to you both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched it live from beginning to end. I was not disappointed.

LC,   Congratulations! You will be impressed to know that you got 18/24 songs that were on Elton's set list. (75%)

I was correct about  guessing one of his special guests.

I won't say who the 3 were,  in case some of you still want to watch.

James sorry to say he didn't pick most of your very thoughtful and great choices.  But there were still 7  of your choices that he performed.

Since I've seen Elton perform many times and I did also enjoy his Yellow Brick Road performance in Saskatoon, much of what he did in LA was the same. His voice was in pretty fine form at the beginning but towards the end of the concert you could see how tired he was getting... And who wouldn't be ..he's 75 years old. It was just awesome to have witnessed this historic event live!

• Like 3

Just finished watching it. A great send off for Elton. Varied set, not just hits. Even one song I wasn't familiar with (other than the recent collaborations with a couple of current artists). Something about a criminal (?). Elton said they hadn't played it in concert for decades. Kiki Dee was a good sport coming over to do Don't Go Breaking My Heart. She looked great but her voice was shot. Seeing Kiki Dee on stage again reminded me of the Elton John concert in October of '74 where she opened for Elton. I had to park on the street, and it was a 2-hour time limit, so after Kiki's set, I ran out to where the car was parked, rolled it about 2 feet (they used to mark the tires with chalk) then ran back in before Elton started playing. But I digress.

The 50,000 plus adoring fans gave everything Elton needed to put on a really good show. At 75 he can't reach the high notes anymore, but his piano playing is stellar. It ran about 2:45; A nitpick- I would have preferred more songs instead of several 5-minute jams, although the jam on Rocket Man was hauntingly beautiful. A once in a life-time talent. Glad I got to see this one (on Disney +)!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Just finished watching it. A great send off for Elton. Varied set, not just hits. Even one song I wasn't familiar with (other than the recent collaborations with a couple of current artists). Something about a criminal (?). Elton said they hadn't played it in concert for decades. Kiki Dee was a good sport coming over to do Don't Go Breaking My Heart. She looked great but her voice was shot. Seeing Kiki Dee on stage again reminded me of the Elton John concert in October of '74 where she opened for Elton. I had to park on the street, and it was a 2-hour time limit, so after Kiki's set, I ran out to where the car was parked, rolled it about 2 feet (they used to mark the tires with chalk) then ran back in before Elton started playing. But I digress.

The 50,000 plus adoring fans gave everything Elton needed to put on a really good show. At 75 he can't reach the high notes anymore, but his piano playing is stellar. It ran about 2:45; A nitpick- I would have preferred more songs instead of several 5-minute jams, although the jam on Rocket Man was hauntingly beautiful. A once in a life-time talent. Glad I got to see this one (on Disney +)!

Hey Kirk... The song you mentioned, "Have mercy on the Criminal" is from his album called "Don't Shoot me I'm Only the Piano Player" 1973.

Also, I just wanted to add that he hasn't been able to hit those high notes for quite a few years now.   He did have vocal surgery in 1987 and had to learn new techniques for singing and how not not to re-injure those precious pipes any further.

The extended version of some of his songs is how he's been playing his shows for the last 15 years, since I've seen 4 of them.  But it does tend to get quite long doesn't it? But you do get to see his awesome piano playing. 

• Like 1

I watched the first hour of the show. Every time I give a list of my favorite Elton songs, it includes "Have Mercy On The Criminal". With that and "Blues For Baby And Me" on DON'T SHOOT ME...", it is why it probably my favorite Elton album. (varies on any given day between that and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) By now, everyone on here knows I'm a huge Elton fan, but for quite some time, I really haven't been a fan of the live styling and extended versions of he that he puts on his songs. The vocal surgery he had in the late 80's definitely affected his ability to do those great 70's numbers justice. Having said that. I have seen some very good performances here and there over the years. I enjoyed his 60th birthday concert and his greatest hits concert that he did earlier in the 2000's. Now, his voice has suffered even more because of his age. It seemed many times he was shouting instead of singing. I will say that in the hour that I watched it, that I enjoyed Have Mercy On The Criminal the most. I will watch the entire concert again at some point, but when I'm wanting some Elton Live, I will go to the other two I mentioned. It's unfair to be too critical because as Rhonda mentioned, he's 75 years old. In my book, he's second only to the Beatles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1