Would any here..

James

Well my alma mater has sure changed, and not for the better.  Turning out a bunch of little drones rather than independent thinkers.

I used to interview potential candidates.  Maybe it's time to renew that responsibility and get some decent candidates in the classroom.

But I must say that faculty has sure changed, too.  Not the same caliber as when I attended.

Higher education has been in decline for awhile.

One of my best friends was career Army and taught at West Point and as an exchange professor at RMA Sandhurst.

After he retired from the Army, he spent twenty years teaching at a private East coast university, and with the exception of a handful of students, he found those twenty years to be drudgery.

A bunch of spoiled babies who found his classes "too hard".

As an aside, when he was working on his Master's degree in history at a noted East coast university, he attended in his required Army uniform.  At the time, he was the only male grad student in the history program and arrived to his cubicle one day to find the words "Babykiller" written in lipstick on his computer monitor screen.  

And interesting to note, he was THE only one in his group to write a thesis.  The women in the grad group all took a test to achieve their Master's degree.

His thesis went on to become a highly respected and sought book on its topic.  As it was published in only a limited run, there are only so many copies out there.  Last time I did a search for it, rare book sellers were asking $500-$1200 for a copy.

• Like 1

I would probably do private school or home schooling.  Would need to thoroughly vet any University before agreeing to finance it.

My youngest is 34 so I'm through that stage, thankfully.  Things are very different now.  My grandkids are 2, 5 and 9, so I'm holding my breath, watching what is happening.  Both of their parents work, but are very hands on with their kids - Dad is with the kids during the day and goes to work when Mom gets home from her job.  They are talking about home schooling but haven't come to a decision.  Things aren't too bad here (yet) - it's a very rural, mostly conservative part of Central PA.  There has been an increase of parents attending school board meetings here - they're watching the store, so to speak.

I feel bad for parents today - it's pretty tough out there....

• Like 1

I coached Little League Baseball for years and I was on the board of directors for that local organization for 35 years…I came across a few kids that were home schooled and they seemed to have difficulty interacting with other children…

As far as public schools in the U.S., it seems that they have “dumbed down” the curriculum to accommodate those that are less than scholastically competitive…

The problem with teachers in these schools, it seems, that they are frustrated at the lack of administrative support for them as they attempt to reign in kids that are a distraction to the the others…

”In the old days”, when a teacher or principal called your parents up to inform them of your errant behavior, you were in trouble…No amount of complaining that the “teacher was picking on you” or the teacher “was lying” or the teacher “hated you” or it was “the kid who sits next to me was at fault” excuse didn’t cut it …You were wrong…

Today, the parent storms the class room and wants to fight the teacher or wants to sue them…

This is not the angle of your questioning James as you were probably referring to the indoctrinization of these kids into their liberal agendas…They are carving their minds into an agenda that the parents are turning a blind eye to or don’t have the energy to fight… 

Check this out…I believe that this professor at Yale sent out an email allowing Halloween costumes in his class…The students felt threatened by the costumes…

Check out the way that this dignified and intelligent academic is spoken to…

I realize that I am all over the map with my response and don’t actually address James’ question, but…

P.S.-James, just out of curiosity, where do you get your news information from in Panama…?Is there a feed from American sources or is it all presented to you through the eyes of Panamanians?

• Like 2

Yeah, just once I tried to complain to my Dad that my Catholic school teacher was too rough on me, and my Dad's response:

"Good, I'm getting my money's worth."

....and my Dad was right.

And you are right Lew, even friends of mine whine(d)...how their kid should be getting more playing time, should be starting etc etc etc. Our generation too often saw our kids as extensions of our thin skinned pride, and too often acted based on our thin skinned pride, instead of based on what was right for our kid like most in our parents' generation did. I played sports a ton as a kid, football, basketball, baseball, tennis and more......I was cut more than once, and was an All Star or MVP more than once....I experienced the fuĺl spectrum...."the agony of rejection and the thrill of recognition" and what a tremendous experience BOTH were for me. Thank God my Dad and Mom never interfered, but let me receive the benefits and lessons of dealing  with the highs and lows myself. They just loved me and supported me from behind the scenes.

• Like 1

PPS if I lived in the U.S., short of a niche affordable private school ( which don't exist up there anyway ), I'd not allow my kids to attend an American school. And it's not even a close call for me. I'd send them to a "3rd world" foreign country where the "1st world"  cancer has not yet been exported to, or I'd get together with other American parents and create a home school for a group of our kids so there would still be a social aspect to the school experience.

• Like 2

Some perspective: Denis, one of my employees, she's like a family member as they all are....graduated with a law degree from the U of Panamà last year. She got her degree while working fulltime for my company.  She then aspired to get a masters in the law, so I told her if she would choose a better private school, and if she'd do a little bit of legal work for the company, I'd  pay for her masters program. So she chose USMA.  But the point is, she is going to one of the best schools in Panamá - and it's a very good school with zero woke infiltration - and I only have to pay like $500 / month....which is a lot / too much for her and most Panamanians  ....but it is pennies compared to what our horribly managed corrupt colleges  charge in the U.S. How can that be? 

• Like 2

I have 2 grandkids still in public school - the oldest graduated last year. My granddaughter is a senior, attends an "alternative" school as she has panic attacks and flipped out when she realized how huge the regular high school was - she's doing well 

the youngest is 10, we had discussed home schooling him this year , I was going to help, but he really needs the socialization . He spends too much time with adults. His mom (my daughter in law) is still  on the fence about keeping him home but so far all is well

• Like 1