Overnight Sensation in HD

Raspbernie

A keen eye will spot the floor standing monitors. Sometime around Ticket To Ride, the in-ear monitors quit working. I Can Remember got dropped from the set due to the delay, and the show went on with the old-school floor monitors. As incredible as this version is, I can't help but wonder what it would have sounded like had the in-ear monitors still functioned!

• Like 2

I edited this video, which means I literally watched it hundreds of times. With that said, a few things to note:

Eric looks and sounds GREAT! He is hitting some seriously HIGH notes in this performance! And his piano playing is spot-on! He is terrific on this keyboard—it really sounds like an acoustic piano.

Jennifer Lee, Billy Sullivan and Paul Sidoti are knocking the backing vocals outta the park! They’re definitely getting an assist by Dave and Wally, but the Overdubs are really living up to their name on this one!

Jim Bonfanti always said his biggest regret in leaving Raspberries was missing out on playing on “Overnight Sensation.” Well, with the reunion tour he got his chance! And man does he deliver! Wow!

Dave also never played on this track before. At the first reunion rehearsal that I caught, Eric was teaching Dave to play it. They spent hours going over the bass parts together. When you watch him effortless play on this track live, chalk it up to his prowess as a skilled musician.

The GREAT Wally Bryson! Hell, what were the lighting people doing when Raspberries played this tune? Taking a bathroom break? While Wally was scorching the stage on several solos on his Flying V they never turn a light on him until the end. So, if you were wondering why it looks like Wally is in a broom closet when ever I cut to him playing...that's why. Seriously, what’s up with that?!? 

All-in-all, Raspberries fans should be thrilled that this HD footage was captured, rediscovered and shared.

Rock on!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, scott said:

I noticed this was not the same as the Sunset Reunion DVD, Overnight Sensation song. Both great!

Scott, the Sunset Strip DVD was recorded using standard definition equipment at the band's October 21, 2005 performance.

This new version was recorded in full HD at the same venue (House of Blues on Sunset Strip) on November 30, 2007.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched it about 10 times now.  I'm just so impressed with the quality of the video and the sound. And if there is any question that Eric is meant to play the piano,  please watch from 4:50-5:25. This is what we mean when we say we would sit and watch a concert of Eric just playing the piano, if he didn't feel his vocals were up to par. So very evident his classical training and how emotionally involved he is while playing. Bravo Eric! I love this!❤❤

• Like 3

Treat to watch. When I finished watching this, I was reminded (and this happens occasionally on this site) of how things were for me in the Pre-Geffen album days of how little information there was out there about Raspberries or Eric. I didn't even know if he was alive. Since then, I've gotten to enjoy the fruits of this site, an Eric appearance at the HOF, an Eric biography book, Raspberries reunion shows, and CD's/DVD's and clips like this one. The trouble is, I'm greedy and can't stop wanting more.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words, Craig. I often wonder how much of what we eventually got out of Eric and Raspberries from 1997 (when I started this website) to now would have happened. Maybe all of it. Maybe none of it. I personally believe the fans from all over the world who joined us here at EricCarmen.com through the years along with my indefatigable spirit made an awful lot of it happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

O.k., so it wasn't the difference in the mix because of the floor standing monitors vs the in-ear monitors. It was the mono mix! The stereo version is much better. I knew there was something going on with the sound- that explains it!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

IMPORTANT: Everyone needs to rewatch the video! A mono version was initially uploaded to YouTube. The proper stereo mix is now online.

Definitely worth a replay (or ten or twenty)!

I was wondering about that; honestly it sounded darn good in mono! The stereo of course is phenomenal though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

IMPORTANT: Everyone needs to rewatch the video! A mono version was initially uploaded to YouTube. The proper stereo mix is now online.

Definitely worth a replay (or ten or twenty)!

Has Eric done any performances since 2007?  Would love to listen if there are any out there.