Raspberries Promotion

Raspbernie

Hit records have a way of easing band tension. This album had several potential hits. Had Raspberries successfully made the leap to FM radio with this album they would have broken the stereotype and gone on to greater heights, IMO! I just want a hit record, yeah!!

• Like 1

side3_ad.jpg

Here's one from Rolling Stone on October 25, 1973 pitching Side 3. For all of the criticism that Capitol didn't properly promote Raspberries, these full-page ads might tell a different story. They obviously did have a promotion budget. Whether it was initially wasted pitching the band to teeny-bopper magazines at the band's onset is another story, but the Capitol Records publicity department did give the boys some attention.

• Like 2

The Raspberry Rolls promotion wasn't targeted for Raspberries initially. I think it was supposed to go to Helen Reddy or somebody else on the label, but the timing was off with their new album release, so Raspberries got the nod. Plenty of money spent on that promotion!

Reminds me of how our little farm store got the first computer scanning technology in the early 80's, but that's another story for a different thread...

On 9/26/2022 at 5:11 AM, Raspbernie said:

side3_ad.jpg

Here's one from Rolling Stone on October 25, 1973 pitching Side 3. For all of the criticism that Capitol didn't properly promote Raspberries, these full-page ads might tell a different story. They obviously did have a promotion budget. Whether it was initially wasted pitching the band to teeny-bopper magazines at the band's onset is another story, but the Capitol Records publicity department did give the boys some attention.

It's debatable if these ads were helping or hurting the band's image, but clearly the marketing department had some fun with these. The whole ingredients list shtick reminds me of a later ad from RSO for the Bee Gees' Main Course album. 

bee_gees_main_course_print_ad.png