More remake discussion

James

Your favorite covers / remakes that exceeded the original version?

Mine:

"Stand by Me" by Mickey Gilley > original by Ben E. King

"Up On a Roof" by James Taylor much > than original by The Drifters

Olivia's "If not for you" > George Harrison's version > Bob Dillon's version

Burton Cummings' "When a Man Loves a Woman" > Percy Sledge's version

The Fendertones' covers of the 12 or so Beach Boys' tunes they did > The Beach Boys' originals

( after that last one I'm glad I'm wearing a bullet proof vest on here today )...      : )

The Beatles: "Twist and Shout" (1963)—originally recorded by the Top Notes (1961), then by the Isley Brothers (1962). Although the Isley Brothers version is pretty damned good...with the Beatles pretty much copying their whole interpretation of the tune...the Fab Four version is the best. The original, though. YIKES! And that original was produced by Phil Spector. Guess he just didn't hear that one right.

• Like 1

I'm sure some will disagree with some of these:

WIthout You by Nillson  over Badfinger

Mr. Tamborine Man by The Byrds  over Bob Dylan

I Love Rock And Roll by Joan Jett  over The Arrows

Love Hurts by Nazareth  over The Everly Brothers

The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies  over Albert Hammond

(I Know) I'm Losing You by Rare Earth  over The Temptations

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig Benfer said:

I'm sure some will disagree with some of these:

WIthout You by Nillson  over Badfinger

Mr. Tamborine Man by The Byrds  over Bob Dylan

I Love Rock And Roll by Joan Jett  over The Arrows

Love Hurts by Nazareth  over The Everly Brothers

The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies  over Albert Hammond

(I Know) I'm Losing You by Rare Earth  over The Temptations

Craig, biggest shock from your list was that The Everly Brothers  recorded Love Hurts before Nazareth. And also  that it was written/recorded 1960!  

• Like 1

ELO´s "Roll Over Beethoven" > all the other versions combined.

Elton John´s "Pinball Wizard" blows The Who´s version away.

Elton´s version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - much > than that of The Beatles.

I don´t like Eric Carmen putting covers on his albums, cuz it´s one less self-written tune on the album, but his version of "Walk Away Renee" competes with the original. He did a great job on that. His voice is perfect for the song.

• Like 1

James, I couldn't agree with you more regarding all of your opinions above. Especially about Eric.

And because I was so obsessed with Elton John,  I felt Pinball Wizard and Lucy in the Sky were far superior to the originals.  But those who were obsessed with The Beatles or The Who would probably think otherwise right?

Good thread James!

• Thanks 1

Yeah Rhonda, as Musky Muskrat used to say....it´s "possiboooooool" : )    ... though if the Beatles or The Who´s versions were better I´d say it. But they weren´t, at least for my tastes.  Elton and his team knocked both of those out of the park. Just true. Elton did a great job on "I Saw Her Standing There" but it wasn´t as good as John Lennon´s / The Beatles´. Etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

The Beatles: "Twist and Shout" (1963)—originally recorded by the Top Notes (1961), then by the Isley Brothers (1962). Although the Isley Brothers version is pretty damned good...with the Beatles pretty much copying their whole interpretation of the tune...the Fab Four version is the best. The original, though. YIKES! And that original was produced by Phil Spector. Guess he just didn't hear that one right.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:37 AM, James said:

ELO´s "Roll Over Beethoven" > all the other versions combined.

Elton John´s "Pinball Wizard" blows The Who´s version away.

Elton´s version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - much > than that of The Beatles.

I don´t like Eric Carmen putting covers on his albums, cuz it´s one less self-written tune on the album, but his version of "Walk Away Renee" competes with the original. He did a great job on that. His voice is perfect for the song.

I agree with all of the above, though I would say that Elton's version of Lucy just barely beats out the Beatles version for me. 

I'll also say that I was never sure why Eric put any covers on his albums, but having said that, I'm not turned off by any of them. I rather enjoy listening to all of them.

• Like 2

Lucy in the Sky by Elton John is just that much better because he is so  incredibly talented as a pianist and and songwriter from that perspective. He adds chords to fill in at the right places where The Beatles never did.  The whole arrangement is just so incredible!

At the 3:30 mark is an excellent reggae style section. Nigel Olsson, Elton's durmmer stands out also, check  at the 5 minute mark.    EJ never released this on an actual album, it was on one of his greatest hits albums and John Lennon actually plays guitar and vocals in Elton's version. John Lennon is credited as Dr. Winston O' Boogie. (Winston was his 2nd name).

This is a picture of my 45 single and the B side was a song called "One Day at a Time"  written John Lennon. 20220805_133524.thumb.jpg.b19e2847b8e0a2f86a5779726acdb8e1.jpg20220805_133546.thumb.jpg.05f58048a60db1ec11bcb36077ece85b.jpg

Check out the video:

• Thanks 1

Hall & Oates' version of "You lost that lovin Feeling" > that of the Righteous Brothers

Isley Brothers' jam of "Summer Breeze" > Seals & Crofts' hit version

Sissel's take on "You'll never walk alone" is the best of the lot...and that's saying something.

Bob Seger's "Fortunate Son" beats the also great original take of CCR.