Olivia Newton John performs Boats Against the Current

Vinnie B Trask

2 hours ago, Rhonda B said:

She does a very excellent job of Boats against the Current... I don't care for most covers of the song but I really enjoy this one. An overall great album!

A lot of the Boats covers feature ONJ's version over the original- just like Celine Dion's version ABM.

• Like 1

I was about 7 at the height of Greasemania, so naturally I loved her and owned Totally Hot as well. I'm sure I listened to it often, yet when I heard EC's original BATC many years later I had no recollection of knowing the song. Maybe I was too much of a tyke to really absorb and understand it.

• Like 1

My story is a ditto of Kirk´s.  I was a sophmore in college and was not into buying Olivia albums then (I´ve got a bunch now)....but in the record store I somehow (probably cuz I wanted to see her hot album cover) saw that she´d included Boats on the album, so I bought it just to hear her version. I was a wacko freako, just like Kirk.

I don´t like her version. I think she had the potential to knock it out of the park with her voice etc., but the production didn´t do her potential justice.

The album ended up being pretty good, as are the several others of hers I´ve picked up over the last few years. I was wrong when I figured her to be just a 2 or 3 singles/album type artist. John Farrar was a great song writer and did a strong job producing her stuff also.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also think Melissa Manchester could have done a great job covering Boats, and maybe Rita Coolidge could have knocked it out of the park. Coolidge may, along with Karen Carpenter, have the best female voice of the era, for me. Coolidge not only had a great voice, she had the judgment to respect, and stay within,  the melody of a song. Her voice is kinda the female Eric Carmen voice, both had that certain sound that I can´t really define.