Raspberries in Memphis

Here's a 1972 article from a Memphis, TN newspaper with a photo of Eric and Dave that I haven't seen before. I'm guessing it was taken during a press meeting because the photo carries the credit: "Staff photo," which means it was taken locally.

1972-12-15-raspberries-commercial_appeal-memphis_tn.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here's another newspaper photo I have never seen before. It's a smiling version of the photo Eric gave me to include in Marathon Man where the band is looking more serious, or "menacing," as Eric described it.

raspberries_newspaper_portait.jpg

• Like 5

I like black and whites. If you think about it, it was a major move to continue as the Raspberries with a double, (at the same time), line up change.

You think this was a factor as to why this line up was short lived,

On 5/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, Batman said:

"...dirty, dope-smoking, detached, egocentric performer"...LOL!  Eric was never one to mince words!!😆

It's so funny that Eric is quoted in the paper as saying that, because even in my teenage years (1970's), I was never attracted to the greasy-haired doper bands either! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, Vinnie B Trask said:

I wonder if Helen Katz remembers writing that article?

It seems like they cut out the other two due to lack of paper room.

You're probably right about the column inch problem (as it's called in newspaper parlance).

What a difference a smile makes!! I usually don't like to comment on Eric's physical appearance because as you know I'm all about the music always.😉 But darn it ..he just looks too cute there with that smile. Thanks Kirk that's a really clear photo.

6 hours ago, RCT said:

Since we're askin', has anyone ever seen this variant unencumbered by overlay text?

rasppowerpopvol2backb.jpg

Apparently, Ken Sharp was the producer of this 1996 British release. Maybe Ken has some insight on the prints? Also, is Ken a member here? I don't recall ever seeing him post here in all of my time since 2005.

• Like 1

You could be on to something Batman. After I posted the picture I remembered there is a small repro of it in The Book, but it's from a newspaper article, and of course the resolution is more '90s Xerox-esque than 21st century scanner-like.

• Like 1