Brokenhearted

Craig Benfer

Today, we had to euthanize our pet cat, Oreo. Almost 18 years ago, my daughter brought home an abandoned kitten that she found freezing in a kiddie ride at Wal Mart. She hid him in her room for about a week until my wife discovered him. She pleaded a begged me to allow her to keep him, making all the expected promises. I caved. A few months later, my daughter moved out leaving Oreo behind. He did not show any signs of aging at all. Was just as spunky as always. A week ago he stopped eating, and then started stumbling around, seeming to be disoriented. Bloodwork revealed that his kidney's were failing. We explored treatment but he was too far gone, so we made the tough decision. It was quite honestly one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

For almost 18 years I've been greeted at the door. For almost 18 years, I've watched TV with him sleeping on my chest. For almost 18 years, I wake up in the mornings to hear his "feed me" mews. It's tough. It's amazing how much pets can steal your heart and how they become a family member.

• Sad 5

About 7 years ago we had to euthanize our beloved Sheltie, Ginger. She was 16 years old. We got her when she was just 8 weeks old. I cried for a week afterwards. She was my girl, always at my side and always full of love. She was the reason that I learned that animals have a spirit and feelings like humans. I gained tremendous respect for all animals even though I had always been an animal lover. She also started getting disoriented and couldn't hear us anymore. I know her spirit lives in the house and still follows us around. I am so sorry for your loss Craig. 

Ginger at age 14.💔

Ginger.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I can imagine, Craig, how difficult this is for you. 18 years is a ton of time to be with a pet. And that´s the bright side, you had 18 great years with your cat.

Sorry for your loss. For what it´s worth, from your photos I can tell your cat was cool, and a special one. And uniquely beautiful.

James

• Like 1

Craig, what a handsome Oreo. I am so sorry for your loss. I've had pets all my life and no matter how many times you go through the end with them, it is heartbreaking.  Over the rainbow bridge they go. They are our fur babies and are forever grateful when we rescue them.

Keep him in your thoughts and his spirit will alway be with you. 🌈

I feel for Craig and totally understand. The worst part that many times it is without warning. Suddenly they don't eat and suddenly things go terribly wrong so no time to brace yourself for the loss.

Just remember you saved Oreo and he lived a great life in your home!

Could have easily gone another way all those years ago.

So sorry to hear of Oreo's passing and send my support.

Pets ARE family, and you do your very best for them.

You gave him a loving and safe home and a wonderful family.

Oreo was one of the lucky ones.

Remember, cats choose their people, and he was lucky to choose you.

💔🐾

• Like 1