Must be instrumental day

Kirk

By removing the vocals, it allows you to hear all of the complex layers of music going on in Eric's composition. I remember buying the sheet music for "Go All The Way" back in 1972 and my girlfriend at the time was an accomplished pianist. I asked her to play it and she remarked in disbelief, "This is a rock song? Usually they have no more than 3 or 4 chord changes and repeat, with very basic phrasing. This is more like classical music structure". I think that was a very pivotal moment in my appreciation for Eric's talent. The guy is truly a musical genius. Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it... several times. I only have one question: Is all of that hair really Eric's???? 🤣

• Like 1

YES to all the above comments. I've always said that Eric could have put out an instrumental album of all of his creations. In Starting Over, you can hear his piano accompaniment and especially the busy right-hand piano part. The chord changes and modulations are just amazing and really stand out without the vocals. Remember, when he performs this live he is singing as well. Very lovely indeed!

• Like 1

Rhonda,

The staccato horns in the second chorus after Eric sings the verse that ends with "immoderately," is VERY TASTY! Starting around the 1:39 mark. That's what caught my ears!

According to the LP's liner notes, the wonderful horns and strings on the Starting Over LP were arranged by Charles Calello, who has quite a resume (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Calello).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Charlie Calello was originally from Newark, NJ and he filled in for a short time for Nick Massi when he stopped touring with the Four Seasons. His aunt, uncle and cousins were all acquaintences of mine, as was the family of Joe Long (LoBracio), from my hometown of Elizabeth, who took over for Nick after Charlie left the group. Look at personnel data on any number of LP's from the 1960's and afterwards, and Charlie will show up. The man is a fantastic musical talent. Sadly, Joe Long, a classically trained Julliard graduate, died last year from Covid. He was nearly penniless and living down the Jersey shore with his daughter. Neither man was barely mentioned in the very successful play "Jersey Boys". Early on in their success with the group, Frankie Valli (Castellucio) and Bob Gaudio became the owners of the Four Seasons and kept the lion's share of the money for themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1974-08-15 raspberries - starting over - charles calello violin chart.jpg

While we're on the subject, here's a super rare item from the EricCarmen.com Archives: a hand-written page from Charles Capello's violin chart for "Starting Over." This was used at the recording session when they laid down the strings on the tune.

• Like 4

Thanks Bernie. Oh I  love when people talk music! This is the reason I came on this site. To find these  unique musical tidbits on Eric Carmen, his songs, and discuss with others who have the  same enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Rhonda B said:

Thanks Bernie. Oh I  love when people talk music! This is the reason I came on this site. To find these  unique musical tidbits on Eric Carmen, his songs, and discuss with others who have the  same enthusiasm.

And we are glad you found us! 

• Like 1

Circa 1962: Original Four Seasons left to right: Frankie Valli, Nick Massi, Tommy DeVito, Bob Gaudio. 

Circa 1965: Gold Vault Vol. 1: Charlie Calello, Valli, Gaudio, DeVito

Circa 1967: Gold Vault Vol. 2: Valli, Joe Long, DeVito, Gaudio

nickmassi.jpg

goldvault.jpg

goldvault2.jpg

Some additional archive photos...

The last photo is a rare shot of Joe Long and Charlie Calello together in the recording studio with famous producer Bob Crewe (seated, far right with cigarette).

joelongyoung.jpg

joelongold.jpg

seasons4long.webp

philipscalello.jpg

longcalello.jpg

While working a summer job in Elizabeth as a recent HS graduate, 1971, I was partnered for several weeks with Joe Long's father. He told me some very interesting things. His son was classically trained in music, and was naturally right-handed. He was working a day job at the old Singer Sewing Machine factory on the Elizabethport waterfront, an immense complex. He accidentally caught his left hand in machinery and severely injured his hand, wrist and forearm. He had to re-learn how to play guitar and bass using his right-hand to finger the chords and use his left hand for plucking the strings as a result. Joe was a very modest and kind gentleman and never benefitted professionally or financially from his association with the Four Seasons. When the group was inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of fame, it was reported that Frankie Valli refused to shake hands with him.

joe1.jpg

long-03.jpg

card00879_fr.jpg

4024173960_e73c638470_z.jpg

• Thanks 1