She Remembered

Dear Eric Carmen:

If you by chance are visiting this site incognito, let me just say that songs like this do not come along very often and they don't go unnoticed by your fans. Another one of your beautiful ballads and it just grabs at my heartstrings every time I hear it and I've been hearing it for a very long time! Recently one of my nieces heard this as it was playing in my car and she literally started crying and could not believe how this was not a famous song. So very exquisite! And this one is so emotionally written, played, and sung that I don't know how it wasn't released as a single. Knowing that it was based on a personal experience makes it that much more relatable and personal.

The  bridges in your songs are musically superior to any bridges I've ever heard. But this bridge is #1 IMHO. I am a relatively new member here, joined November 2021,  but have been a devoted fan for 50 years,  since I was 14 so I am not new to your music.  Just in case you are reading this,  thank you a million times over from the bottom of my heart for the music you have given me and the world. I absolutely adore this song. Thank you Eric♥️ 

Rhonda B.

'Cause dreams are forever and some things you never forget

• Like 7

Bernie, I know you've posted the lyrics before but today is the first time I realized he called his Bridge the Middle 8 which I know he's done before. Love that you've got it framed. At the end of the final  chorus he does a signature Eric ohhh and  high oooo and then repeats the last line. Very beautiful and effective.♥️   Thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhonda B said:

Bernie, I know you've posted the lyrics before but today is the first time I realized he called his Bridge the Middle 8 which I know he's done before. Love that you've got it framed. At the end of the final  chorus he does a signature Eric ohhh and  high oooo and then repeats the last line. Very beautiful and effective.♥️   Thanks.

Rhonda, I'm no songwriter, but I've tried to get as definitive a definition of the bridge and middle eight as I could. The consensus seems to be- the middle eight takes you to a place the rest of the song does not, and the bridge is an instrumental interlude roughly in the middle of the song. In that case, I would say that Eric's use of middle eight for this song is right on. 

• Like 3

Kirk thanks for commenting. In musical circles this gets discussed a lot and nobody seems to agree. But a bridge is typically shorter and comes in between a verse and chorus. Where as a middle eight is almost like another verse but is  completely different than the other verses... different music different words and is longer than a bridge and totally changes the direction of the song.

I find most people just call them all bridges to save confusion. Like if we're in a rehearsal the leader or someone will say "let's go back to the bridge" they will never say "let's go back to the middle eight".  Some will say a middle 8 is a type of bridge as well. And I could be totally wrong about all of this but this is my experience.

In Eric's song She Remembered, as you see written above, he actually does sing another chorus after verse 2 even though it's not written on that paper. So this is a middle eight by my description because he's singing a brand new part in between two choruses that is nothing like the other verses.  He  even changes the Rhythm and the time signature. So inventive! So Kirk you got it right by my description. That's why I was glad to see that he called it middle 8 on that paper.

ps.  In my original comment and post I did say Bridge as I thought I'm not sure how many people will know what I mean by middle eight.

• Like 2

What a great thread on a great old ballad. I think there’s a thread somewhere here where Eric describes the event on which he based this. Or am I dreaming again?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LC said:

What a great thread on a great old ballad. I think there’s a thread somewhere here where Eric describes the event on which he based this. Or am I dreaming again?

He said it was a mix of reality and romantic songwriting.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

shaver1340...sooo many songs we would love to see Eric perform on video but not many exist. But this song especially would be great to see on video as it was based on a personal experience of his.  I would actually like to see a set list of Eric's from his early days of performing as a solo artist to see which unknown songs he performed live.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:22 PM, shaver1340 said:

I love this song! 
Everyone who ever loved in high school would connect to this song.

Is there a video anywhere of Eric singing this song live? I cannot find one and would love to see him sing it.

Hello & Welcome to the website! I too have dug around for footage of Eric singing some of these incredible ballads, but alas - no luck so far!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, kyletx500 said:

"She Remembered" has one of my favorite middle eights ever. It's so melodically rich, but the slightly odd time signature and Eric's vocal delivery make it sound so conversational. Gives me goosebumps.

Kyle, Eric is the master of the middle 8! At the end of this middle 8, Eric does this string build up back into the chorus that adds drama, but I want to jump right from ‘mine’ back into the chorus. Don’t know why, I guess my ears just hear it a little different than the master’s. 

• Like 1