Eric is a better man than me...

How EC could sit thru this is beyond me...I don’t get anyone’s fascination with Springsteen...

https://www.backstreets.com/setlists2007.html

American Land

November 4 / Cleveland, OH / Quicken Loans Arena
Notes: A knockout performance for Cleveland, with a setlist to match. Every E Street album was represented in the show tonight with the exception of The River -- and if you count River-era B-side "Be True," which had its tour premiere, it was a sweep. Representing Greetingswas another tour debut, "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City." Paired with "She's the One," it was just massive. "Tunnel" represented Tunnel, and from The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle in the encore, it was another stunning "Kitty's Back." All that, and they still had room for "woman power," as Bruce put it, with Patti spotlighted on "Town Called Heartbreak" as she returned to the fold after her absence in St. Paul. Oh, and speaking of woman power, Bruce referenced the Lynn Goldsmith photography exhibit down the road at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: "I hope they don't have pictures of me with my pants down!" In the crowd: The Raspberries' Eric Carmen, and retired longtime Plain Dealer rock critic (and huge Springsteen fan) Jane Scott.
-Photograph by Guy Aceto 

Setlist:
Radio Nowhere
Night
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
Reason to Believe
It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
The Promised Land
Town Called Heartbreak
Tunnel of Love
Be True
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands
Girls in Their Summer Clothes
Kitty's Back
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
American Land

I like Springsteen, I just never understood the overwhelming awe and esteem to which he has risen. The music pedestal he is placed on is WAY too high. I've known quite a few Springsteen fans who have told me that I have to see him in concert. I had a co-worker say "It's like a religious experience". I've been told that about Rush too. 

His fans do go way over the line into hero worship, imho. Having said that, he´s put out some pretty awesome music. The hits are the least of his catalog, at least of what I´ve heard, mostly thru The River. His sound is earthy, organic, genuine and really is kind of modern day Americana. 

"Jungleland" doesn´t get the love it deserves...it´s a masterpiece....and in the running for greatest rock song of all time. Thunder Road is not far behind. "Candy´s Room" rocks to the moon, "Racing in the Street" is one of the most underrated tunes ever as it would be the best song of the catalog of 95% of the artists out there. "The River" is strong....and more.

It´s hard in 2022 for me, though, to listen to him as his politics, and the way he goes about pushing it, has completely turned me off.

• Like 1