Yesss! Finally, a Boats Against the Current box!

My friend at Arista Records, who I've known since my days editing a music magazine, leaked a secret that'll be announced this spring: Arista is FINALLY issuing a Boats Against the Current boxed set! It comes out on August 11 to celebrate the 45th birthday of that great album (and also Eric's 73rd birthday). 

There's a press release he sent me that I'll share here a little later. My friend said there are still a couple details that have to be firmed up—including a "possible one-off performance by Eric at the  R&R Hall of Fame." (Honestly, I doubt that'll happen, but Arista is trying to set up a one-night-only performance like Eric did many years ago — this time with a full band. Alas, it won't be Raspberries. Or at least not all of them!)

Eric has been involved in the song selection and in the mastering. I think Tommy Allen must be involved, too. And of course Bernie has a hand in things, but he's sworn to secrecy. Bernie is writing some of the liner notes, and my friend has asked me to contribute an essay for the liner notes. (No problem—I've had one written for about 40 years!)

Here's what's on the three CDs; more news to come.

DISC 1 • Remastered Original Recording
1. Boats Against the Current
2. Marathon Man
3. Nowhere to Hide
4. Take It or Leave It
5. Love Is All That Matters
6. She Did It
7. I Think I Found Myself
8. Run Away

DISC 2 • Expanded Original Album in Original Order
1. Run Away
2. I Think I Found Myself
3. She Did It
4. Love Is All That Matters
5. Take It or Leave It
6. Nowhere to Hide
7. A Temporary Hero (unreleased)
8. Marathon Man
9. Boats Against the Current

DISC 3 • Outtakes, Demos, Covers, and Rarities
1. Someday — originally recorded for Boats Against the Current; held for Change of Heart album
2. She Did It — demo 
3. Love Is All That Matters — demo
4. I Need You — demo
5. I Need You — 
by Euclid Beach Band (written and produced by Eric Carmen)  
6. There's No Surf in Cleveland — by Euclid Beach Band (written and produced by Eric Carmen)  
7. Nowhere to Hide — demo
8. Nowhere to Hide — by Yvonne Elliman
9. Boats Against the Current — by Olivia Newton-John 
10. Boats Against the Current — alternate take with backing vocals
11. Run Away — piano/vocal demo  
12. Marathon Man — live in Japan 1980
13. She Did It — live in Japan 1980
14. Boats Against the Current — live in Japan, 1980
15. Boats Against the Current — live, Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, 2000

music-boats.jpeg

• Like 2

Bingo, Lew. I know it’s not like me to pull an April Fool’s Day prank, but the date of my post gives it away. Just a “wishful thinking” gag on the day you’re supposed to do such things.

• Haha 1

Truth be told, I felt a little bad about doing that. I'm not a prankster type, so I almost took it down as soon as I put it up. 

But... when you read it, it's not bad, is it? There's a certain believable-ness to it. And it didn't take long to whip it up. I just went to my last post in the Boats blog from 2007, when Bernie, Don Krider, and I wrote up some essays about Boats, and "repurposed" an old post:
http://ericcarmen.blogspot.com

Oops—you’re right. I’ll fix the liner notes before this comes out. In fact, I’ll remove it altogether. It doesn’t really fit.

• Haha 1

You got me LC. I was excited for about two minutes until the reveal. I wasn't even thinking about April Fools Day. I was most excited about Temporary Hero. And I was already planning a trip to Cleveland in my mind...just in case. It's amazing how gullible a person can be when they want something bad enough.

• Like 3

I just reread my prank, and I started believing it! myself It would be such a welcome package—and then there are the fabled outtake tapes that could supply more rarities and unreleased tracks. Wouldn't you love to hear "I Think I Found Myself" in stripped-down fashion?

Well, it's humbling for me to look at our Boats blog from 15 years ago. Back then, I was hoping such a product—even if it were a single disc with a couple bonus tracks and enhanced liner notes—eventually would have found its way. Alas, I guess there are too few of us who would buy it. (Heck, very few people are buying CDs anyway. In 2007, CDs still had more of a pulse.)

I guess a Boats box is like rotisserie baseball... fun to think about, but it's just a fantasy.

• Like 1

I first thought Bernie must be bouncing off the walls with his favorite Eric LP being given the anniversary box set treatment. I never made the "April Fool" connection. Wow, LC, you really got me good.

Ha—not a bad prank, is it? I had so many details in there that how could anyone have wasted all that time making it up? (Of course, no one would have realized most of it came from a 15-year-old post!)

All that said, I know that once you and Robin ran the data through that state-of-the-art bat-computer, you'd have caught on. 

batman-computer.jpeg

• Haha 4

It got me too, and I´m pretty keen to April Fools stuff.

But maybe not such a great idea, as I´d guess there are many people who read the initial post, didn´t make it down to where Lew called it out as an AF joke, ...and these people went away believing it´s true.

1 hour ago, Rhonda B said:

Oh no Kirk.. you FELL for it!  I  hold you in such high esteem with everthing ERIC...can I  ever trust anything you say again?😟

Yes, but what a way to go...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LC said:

Ha—not a bad prank, is it? I had so many details in there that how could anyone have wasted all that time making it up? (Of course, no one would have realized most of it came from a 15-year-old post!)

All that said, I know that once you and Robin ran the data through that state-of-the-art bat-computer, you'd have caught on. 

batman-computer.jpeg

We updated that computer quite a few years ago. The new one is much smaller and faster. :)

• Like 1