Lesson Time

Lew Bundles

A son took his father to a restaurant to enjoy a delicious dinner. His father is quite old and therefore, a little weak too. While eating, food occasionally fell on his shirt and pants. The other guests watched the old man with their faces contorted in disgust, but his son remained calm. After they both finished eating, the son quietly helped his father and took him to the toilet. Cleaned food scraps from his crampled face and attempted to wash food stains on his clothes, graciously combed his gray hair and finally put on his glasses.

As they left the restroom, a deep silence reigned in the restaurant. The son paid their bill but just before they leave, a man, also old, got up and ask the old man’s son, “Don’t you think you left something here?”

The young man replied “I did not leave anything.”

Then the stranger said to him, ”You left a lesson here for every son and a hope for every father.”

The whole restaurant was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop!

One of the greatest honours that exist, is being able to take care of those who have taken care of us too. Our parents and all those elders who sacrificed their lives with all their time, money and effort for us, deserve our utmost respect. ❣️♥️❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This may be a topic for another forum, but the rest rooms need to change in public buildings.

There is a great need for "Family rest rooms".

When taking my dad to dinner or when traveling, my regular option was to take him to the ladies' room, as I was certain that fellas in the men's room preferred to have their privacy at the urinals.  The ladies were always very understanding, and Dad overcame his embarrassment early on.  I told him that he was one of the few men in the world who solved the mystery of the ladies' room.

But I will tell you, the family rest rooms along the toll roads were THE BEST.

The family rest room is a private room that is large, super clean and comfortable.

There is room to put down all your stuff without the fear of someone grabbing it over or under the stall door.

There is room for a walker or a wheelchair to maneuver.  There are  handicapped railings and a private sink. 

The problem is, there are not enough family rest rooms. 

They are perfect for elder care as well as families with children.  They provide changing tables, plenty of room for strollers and diaper bags, and some even offer a toddler height potty for the little ones in addition to the standard toilet.  The tiny toilets always made Dad laugh and wish they had them when he traveled with our family many years ago.

The cool thing is that a parent or caregiver of either sex feels comfortable helping their loved one without being  in the "wrong" rest room.

🙂

• Like 6

Family washrooms (as Canadians would call them) also come in real handy if you're married to a blind person. Sadly they're not too common outside of airports or multiplex movie theaters.

One time in a hotel lobby I accidentally led my guy to a ladies' room. I misinterpreted the little pictograph by the door and didn't notice it was wearing a dress until he'd gotten inside. When I rushed in to retrieve him, a lady washing her hands at the sinks advised him in a heavy German accent, "You should fire her." 

• Like 1

RCT:  when I could still take my mom to restaurants, I would choose restaurants by what washroom facilities they had. Boston Pizza restaurants in Saskatchewan  have large family  washrooms. And staff  were very accommodating to my mom's needs. Unless you're somebody in our position with a parent like that, the rest of society wouldn't even have a clue that this is a thing.

• Like 2

While I have never faced this experience ( restaurants, traveling, etc. ) with my own parents, whom both lived to their 90's, I have deep respect for children that reverse the roles and become "parent-caregivers" to their elderly and frail mothers and fathers. We had to eventually hire a live-in home health aide in the last few years of my parents lives, but it was worth every dollar if for nothing less than giving them the comfort, familiarity and dignity of living out the remainder of their time in their own home. 

• Like 5

While not the primary caregiver for my parents, I was thankful to be able to care for them on my days off until they passed. We are still part-time caretakers for my wife's mother who is 100! Caring for our elderly parents provide many blessings. I wouldn't trade a minute of my time with my elderly parents.

Quick story- On one of my days off when I had driven to my parent's house, my Dad, who knew I liked to play golf in my free time, suggested I go play golf instead of spending the day at my folk's house. Without hesitation, I told my Dad I was right where I wanted to be. I said there will always be time for more golf, and, if there isn't, I've played plenty of rounds in my lifetime. A short time later he passed. No regrets... 

• Like 4

Kirk...beautiful. I passed up many trips with other family members, bless their hearts, who would say mom doesn't know the difference. Which may or may not be true. But, I knew the difference.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Rhonda B said:

Kirk...beautiful. I passed up many trips with other family members, bless their hearts, who would say mom doesn't know the difference. Which may or may not be true. But, I knew the difference.

She knew. Trust me

• Like 2