Sleep With Me inspiration?

So, my wife and I were watching West Side Story 2021 and a song called "I Have A Love" is played. Now, it's been decades since I originally watched West Side Story- long before Eric Carmen started composing songs- so this would not have caught my ear back then, but, I hear the inspiration for "Sleep With Me" in this song. Listen from 2:35 to 2:50. Leonard Bernstein would be proud of Eric's song!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely! How often Eric has said that he crafts songs from snippets of melody lines! Great find, Kirk! I love this song! Happy to share this here so we can all revel in this gorgeous song! 😉 

• Like 2

Helen, not sure if you saw this post on another thread  that I posted February 27th called "Eric not playing piano on "Tonight you're Mine" album.  I would have loved it a whole lot more knowing that Eric was playing the piano on this song.🤔

Posted February 27:

I'm just wondering if anyone would have any knowledge of why Eric did not play piano on his Tonight You're Mine album. (Except for the song Foolin' Myself). I can see for where he wants to stand up front with the guitar but on his beautiful Ballads like Sleep with Me and All for Love.. those are the two that kind of shocked me. Duane Hitchings played piano on these songs and it's beautifully played by Duane. Just wondering as I don't think this is the case for his other albums from what I can tell.

Again I say, that's what I love about this site,  reminders of songs from days gone by gone.  But I remember this one and I love the catchy little chorus.  And definitely that intro sounds like Eric's Sleep with Me. But Eric turned it into a beautiful ballad all the same. Thanks for posting raspathens.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Raspbernie said:

Wow, really interesting, Kirk! Eric has always spoken about his admiration for soundtracks, citing several film composers—most notably, Dimitri Tiomkin—among his favorites.

No person who spent any time living in the 1960's wouldn't recognize the theme for "Rawhide"! And Tiomkin's score for "The Alamo" is magnificent!

• Like 1