Long Live Rock'n'Roll (vs. Make Me Lose Control)

LC

I wonder if the early incarnation of this song would have charted as high (#3) as its final version did. Or... if it might have gone even higher? ("Make Me Lose Control" got so close to #1....) Either way, it's a fun listen on another slow news day. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And... there was probably the feeling that a song about that tried-and-true subject, love, would sell better than a tribute to the rock'n'roll genre. I do love the original—"one more shooby-do-wop!*" And I love the ending. 

But hey, it turned out okay. "Make Me Lose Control" has a little of that urgency we loved in "Go All the Way," "I Wanna Be with You," "Let's Pretend," "Tonight," and "Ecstasy"—though in a more grown-up way. And it clearly caught the "Hungry Eyes" wave in heading to the upper reaches of music charts.

* There's another thread here were we were discussing "shooby-doo-wops," but I can't remember....

• Like 2

I agree LC...Although this is good ..his voice is good ...harmonies are good it's missing the punch that the released song has. 'Make Me Lose Control' is more in the vicinity of Eric-based themes. And then of course the video backs that up as well ..  Maybe if you didn't see the video it wouldn't make a difference I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I loved "Make Me Lose Control" from the moment I first heard it, and the demo is such a gem of a find. While I like the original subject matter of the demo's lyrics, I imagine it got changed in part due to the fact that it's not really a rock'n'roll number. The revised lyrics kept the nostalgic feel but probably made it easier to market.

Anyways, the demo is great to hear, especially with Eric doing all the background vocals too. I think I read in the past that Jimmy Ienner was the reason Eric only sang lead on the final track because, apparently to Ienner, his backing vocals sounded too much like the Beach Boys (which is a good thing if you ask me), but alas...

• Like 4

Eric picks up when Hungry Eyes became a hit:

"Lo and behold, "Hungry Eyes" flew up then Billboard charts into the top twenty, and then took months to slowly make it's way into the top ten, and then the top five, and took almost as long to drop out of the top five and ten and twenty. Each week that you have a song in the top ten, ( back in the old days ) that meant you would probably sell 75,000 records. When it reaches the top five you sell 100,000 records. So the longer you stay in the top ten, making your way up the charts to top five status, and back down again, you are literally selling hundred and hundreds of thousands of records and getting played 5 or 6 times a day on every station in the country.
Donald promoted that record. Success for me meant success for his brother.
After "Hungry Eyes", Arista was putting together another greatest hits package.
Putting a brand new song on the album would give fans their money's worth, and since Donald was on a roll, I suggested to Jimmy we should do something "new" and that he should produce it.
I played him "Long Live Rock 'n Roll" and he liked it, but thought, and this is a quote...."Who wants to hear a song called Long Live Rock 'n Roll from Eric Carmen"?
I came up with "Make Me Lose Control", sent it to Dean Pitchford who then re-wrote the chorus lyric and I went into the studio with Jimmy in LA.
Donald was still at the helm of the promotion department when the single came out.
Top #3.
The mysteries are revealed."

And there you have it!

• Like 4