Scott McCarl interview

RCT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/materialissues/

For Episode 40 of Material Issues, Mark Hershberger and I are proud to announce that our special guest is a true power pop icon: bass player, vocalist and songwriter for Raspberries, Mr. Scott McCarl!

We'll talk with Scott about his time with Raspberries, plus his previous band, Yellow Hair, and his post-Raspberries CD, 'Play On', which will soon be re-released, with bonus trax, on Liberation Hall Records! Scott's a fine, affable gent, and this will be a lot of fun!

Material Issues will be back at its usual time of Wednesday at 3PM Pacific, 6PM Eastern, 11PM GMT, etc...we look forward to seeing you there!

(It's an FB group, but it looks like you don't have to be a member of the group to watch their videos.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That was a great interview! Looking forward to the re-release of Play On with the new bonus tracks on April 1st!

A couple of things caught my ear during the interview. Scott mentioned a 50th anniversary Raspberries tribute album and Ken Sharp's name came up!! 

David Bash held up a cd of Starting Over demos that "someone we know" made for him. Had me thinking, when Bernie asked me what demos I had of Starting Over a few months ago...hmmm.

Fun stuff!

• Like 2

Wow, absolutely loved this interview! His solo album meant so much to me. I was going through some really bad times and had a 90 minute drive to work every morning and used to listen to it virtually every day. Really helped me get through some things. I cannot wait for the reissue. 

Something new that I found out from this interview though, I never knew Scott was offered to join Wally in Tattoo and somehow someway (see what I did there?) somebody has to have a tape of John Lennon introducing the band!!!!!  

Great job by the interviewers!

• Like 2

Awesome interview! I actually just picked up Starting Over last Saturday from the record shop and had refrained listening to it until I got a copy. I was quite impressed in particular by Scott's contributions to the album. His story of joining the band was awesome to hear.

• Like 3

Yes, Pat and Kyle—really nice to see and hear Scott. He's very humble and a real gentleman—and an undersung talent.

Kyle, if you weren't familiar with a lot of Starting Over, you're in for a treat. I almost envy you! As much as I love the Dave-and-Jim lineup, Starting Over tops my list of Raspberries albums, and Scott's contributions were vital. He brought a breath of fresh air.

I remember Eric touting Scott's arrival in some interview material (I think in the Raspberries Best LP liner notes), where he said he played bass left-handed like Paul McCartney and sounded like John Lennon. He wrote multiple songs with Eric plus one with Wally (I will still defend "Hands on You"!). He was at his best on "Play On" and "Cry." And one of my three or four favorite Raspberries songs, "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine," sounds like it's largely an Eric tune but I always forget Scott is listed as co-writer. So he clearly had a hand in a powerful rock ballad.

And that Play On album is really good. I got a copy on eBay that was signed and sold by one of our former posters here. 

• Like 4

PS: I was glad the interviewers broached the subject of the reunion tour. They handled it well, and you could tell it meant something to Scott to hear how they cast it. They noted that Scott was extremely gracious in staying on the sidelines as the "original four" did their reunion tour. Yes, it would have been awesome to have Scott and Mike on stage, as one of the interviewers said. But Scott showed great class by not pushing it. 

And he wasn't being magnanimous in a plastic way. He talked about how, after the 'berries had broken up, he asked Dave and Jim to play with him. He was a fan, after all, of their work on the firs three albums.

• Like 4

PPS: Blackhawk Pat and I were talking today about the fact that this is the first real "Raspberries news" in years. So, kudos to Scott for updating his Play On project. 

While the lead story is the enhanced reissue of Play On, there are sidebars related to Raspberries history that are just as interesting. Pat already mentioned how Scott talked about Lennon (and Harry Nilsson) introducing Raspberries to a Central Park crowd enjoying a free Raspberries concert in 1974 or /75. I ha never heard that, but... how cool! Like you say, Pat, SOMEBODY's got to have that on tape.

Even more interesting to me was the conversation about the Starting Over album.

We've heard speculation from Eric and Wally over the years that Lennon had a hand in the mix of the album's tracks. But they always stop short of verifying it, leaving at as speculation. I thought Scott's recollection is the strongest I've heard. It sounded more certain during the interview than what I've heard in the past — that Lennon jumped in and got his hands onto the console during the mixing process. Scott noted that the 'berries departed after laying down all the tracks and left the mixing to producer Jimmy Ienner and his team—and it sounds like Lennon jumped in. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but... from Scott's recollection, it sounded stronger than speculation.

• Like 3

Rough, rowdy, and raw Raspberries. I always thought John Lennon's vocals would have been a spectacular addition to the song—heck, Scott sounds like him anyway. So it was cool to hear in the podcast — from Scott himself — about the rumor that John wanted to contribute.  

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the good words on our interview with Scott!  It was a thrill indeed and some very interesting facts did pop up!  Tell your friends about the Material Issues GROUP on Facebook.  Join the group so you will be notified of great guests coming up in the future!  Also, the archives of all 40 shows are on the group,  and, also on YouTube at materialissues.com!

Thanks again!    Play on!

• Like 3

Great interview. Scott's a terrific talent and his extraordinary solo "Play On" CD is still getting plays at my house. The year it came out, it was my favorite release of the year.

As far as the Raspberries reunion, I know that Scott was asked to join the band in L.A., but he didn't want to upstage the original members. Now, that would have been special.

• Like 1

Hey, good insider stuff, Bernie. That really would have been special for everybody! We can only assume that appearing with the band in L.A. would have at the very least been to augment them on "Play On," and maybe "Overnight Sensation" and/or "Party's Over." Or "Nobody Knows"? Imagine the buzz among 'berries folks. He's a class individual.