"My favorite song of all time"

LC

Yes, that's an impossible list—your single favorite song of all time. I could say "Yesterday," I could say "China Skies" (John Stewart), I could say "Maybe I'm Amazed," I could say "Boats Against the Current." But I'm going with "Hey Jude."

How can I not? A) It takes me back to my 8- or 9-year-old self, watching this clip (or an alternative of the same) on Dick Cavett's show on a Sunday night. B) It's a perfectly composed and performed song, with moving lyrics and a great story behind it. C) It's nice and long, at 7 minutes. D) When I watch it on this vid, I find it to be a stirring, almost spiritual performance. E) It may look dated (per the set-rushers' fashions and outfits), but the song itself sounds forever fresh, at least to me. 

Can you single out one song that would rank at the top of your list, EC or otherwise? 

• Like 1

The two songs stand out maybe because the Eagles are usually the Henley/Frey show, but there's Randy and Joe chipping in with truly impactful songs—maybe the best on a great album. I personally would put either on ahed of, say, even "Hotel California" these days. 

You must be in an Eagles mode! Do we have an Eagles Ranking thread here? I'll have to hunt... and possibly update mine. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, since writing this (largely quiet) thread almost two years ago, I have a new contender for my own favorite song of all time. It's called "Evangeline," and it's by the late, great John Stewart. This is a live version done with a band called Lies Damned Lies, and it's a story-song that maybe you'll find engaging. I can't listen to it enough. Apple tells me it was my most-listened-to song in 2023, and with good reason. Check it out — but block out all distractions and let it soak in. It's so great....

• Like 1

Evangeline, a real gem of a song...I too am addicted to this. The beauty of John Stewart I have learned, is how he will change up his songs. Sometimes he changes them so drastically, to a completely different version. But the one I am posting here  is the same song, Evangeline. The same song LC just posted, but written in a major key with an extra lyric at the end. I can't get enough of the line, ".. and Evangeline Waits." The YouTube video says it's a song called Interview with an Angel. which is not correct. Give it a listen and see what you think and compare it LC's posted version above. Here is "Evangeline" , an alternate version:

I think song favourites change over time. I'm not one to pick overplayed Top 10 to 40 songs. I always have specific reasons for why I like a song and it usually gets down to the music, the written word, and what's going on in my life at the time and that's the reason why I relate. So many of Eric's ballads like All for Love, or many of Elton's songs like, The One  stand out to me as a favourite. Learning about John Stewart's music,through LC,  has also changed my perspectives on what good songs are. My top of the list favourite of JS is Wind on the River. He is backed by the perfect, velvety vocals of Phil Everly which melt me every time. Evangeline is a very close second.