Pete Pardo mentions Razzies

And as kids, who could afford to buy all of those at $6.99 a pop?!?

As it was, I didn’t buy ANY of those records the year they came out, even though I later picked up many of them. In fact, I didn’t end up buying Fresh for another few years. I got it around 1978, after going to college. (Luckily, it was still sitting in record bins as current stock… but not for much longer.)

• Like 3

Eagle's Nest.....our neighborhood record store and headshop. $4.99 for an album....never seemed to vary...in 1977 dollars that was a pretty penny. So much fun browsing....and hopefully buying! It's where I bought all Rasperries' albums and EC 1975....and it's where I'm sure they got irritated with me during summer 1977, when I'd ask everytime I came in, the arrival status of Eric Carmen's new forthcoming album, "Boats Against The Current". : )

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Who else joined besides me?

5698115384_e1eb3a10e4_b.jpg

Awww.... And So It Begins .... This is where my life changed at the age 13/14....in 1972 when one of my brothers joined one of these record clubs... And his first 2 records were Raspberries and Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player by Elton John. The beginning of what I called " My 2 E's" .  Forever indebted to record clubs!

• Like 4

Rhonda.....Holy Cow! Two great records to start with. 

When I joined Columbia House, I already had Don't Shoot Me, and the only song I even knew by the Raspberries was I Wanna Be With You. I remember that Billy Joel's 52nd Street album was one of the first that I got.

• Like 3

You got that right Craig! At that time in 1972 how were we to know how great these artists and albums would turn out to be. We were part of History being made and didn't even know it. How fortunate for us to be a part of that era, is what I think.... we experienced it while it happened. My brother was very lenient with me borrowing the Elton John album and he eventually let me keep it. Not so with the Raspberries..oh no... he must have  known something was going to be special about that album because he did not lend it to anyone. I had to eventually go and get my own CD and he lost his Raspberries record in a move OMG... he's so upset.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:09 AM, LC said:

Oh yeah! Signed up… Quit… Signed up… Quit… Signed up… I’d probably do it again today!

Did the same thing. Every time I met the fulfillment requirement I’d quit. Then join again so I could get lots for a little 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Lew Bundles said:

Wasn’t there a special record club Raspberries selection that had an unreleased cut on it...?

That was a more recent thing than those "8 albums for a dollar" deals that enticed all of us as kids to join.

raspberries_greatest_hits.jpg

Back in 2000, Capitol Records planned to release a Raspberries "Greatest Hits" CD that included 4 never-before-released demo recordings from the band: "I Saw The Light," "Please Let Me Come Back Home," "Oh Tonight" and "Come Around And See Me." Due to an issue with the track list, Capitol pulled the release, but not before a bunch of them made their way to fans through something called the BMG Music Club. At one point, that CD was selling for hundreds on eBay. Not sure about now, but a quick check shows none currently for sale.

• Thanks 3

On 2/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Raspbernie said:

Back in 2000, Capitol Records planned to release a Raspberries "Greatest Hits" CD that included 4 never-before-released demo recordings from the band: "I Saw The Light," "Please Let Me Come Back Home," "Oh Tonight" and "Come Around And See Me." Due to an issue with the track list, Capitol pulled the release, but not before a bunch of them made their way to fans through something called the BMG Music Club. At one point, that CD was selling for hundreds on eBay. Not sure about now, but a quick check shows none currently for sale.

I got one.

• Like 2