A Fellow Ec fan weighs in...

Lew Bundles

This commentary is from the site

Is singer/musician Eric Carmen as famous as he should be given his level of talent?

Mike Burch

, Poet, Editor and Publisher

Updated 4h ago

I think Eric Carmen is a truly great vocalist and songwriter, and deserves to be more famous that he is.

My favorite Eric Carmen songs include:

#1 — All By Myself — While the Celine Dion cover is marvelous, I prefer Carmen’s more soulful version myself. I consider it to be one of the best pop songs of all time, if not THE best. Released in 1975, “All By Myself” was Carmen’s first and biggest hit, including all the smash hits he created with the Raspberries. But he had a bit of help with this one, since he borrowed from Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto #2 in C Minor. To his credit Carmen paid the Rachmaninoff estate 12% of his royalties. According to Second-Hand Songs “All By Myself” has been covered by 144 artists, including Celine Dion and Frank Sinatra. Why? Well because it’s an effin’ masterpiece, pardon my French.

#2 — I’m Through With Love — Another very touching, moving song. And, just to mention, another masterpiece, released in 1984.

#3 — Never Gonna Fall in Love Again — A third gem for the ages and one of Carmen’s two number one hits, released in 1976.

#4 — Sunrise — This more upbeat Carmen song is one well worth getting reacquainted with, if you haven’t heard it recently. The end of “Sunrise” reminds me of Elton John’s epic “Love Lies Bleeding” and I believe the songs share some of the same chords. It was released in 1976.

#5 — Boats Against the Current — This soulful song begins with “Row Row Your Boat” being played prettily and sentimentally in a piano solo. How many rock songs would be so daring? “Genius” is a word that’s overused these days, but I think it’s warranted for this song that begins and ends like no other. And, BTW, I think Eric Carmen’s top five stacks up against anyone’s. It was released in 1978.

#6 — Make Me Lose Control — This was Carmen’s other number one song, although I think the first three in my list are better. However, this one is damn good, and it reminds me of Billy Joel in a good way. “Take me over the edge, make me lose control.” And he keeps hitting some sort of supernatural note on “control” that takes what could have been an ordinary song beyond the ordinary. It was released in 1988.

#7 — Hungry Eyes — This was Carmen’s second-biggest hit, reaching number two in 1987. It was no doubt helped by being featured in the blockbuster movie Dirty Dancing. I don’t rank this one quite as high as his other hits as a solo act, but it’s still very good.

#8 — Go All the Way — My favorite of the Raspberries hits, and a damn good upbeat, up-tempo love (or lust) song. And pretty hot and sexy with “If you believe that what we’re doing is right, close your eyes and be still.” Carmen reminds me of Paul McCartney in his vocals, especially the “oh yeahs.” And he keeps hitting a power high note that most male singers can’t, like Elvis.

#9 — I Wanna Be With You — My second favorite of the Raspberries hits.

#10 — Tonight — Another Raspberries hit. This one is a bit rougher and almost borders on disharmony at times. But Eric and the group made it work.

#11 — Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) — This Raspberries song has a bit of a harder edge than the other songs here, for a nice change of pace.

#12 — Change of Heart — This song hit number six on the charts and was well deserving, in my opinion. It was released in 1978.

#13 — She Did It

#14 — My Girl — This one reminds me of the Beach Boys in places.

#15 — I Wanna Hear It from Your Lips

#16 — That’s Rock and Roll — This song became a #3 hit for Shaun Cassidy in 1977, two years after Carmen released it. How do you know you’re a great songwriter? When your 16th best song hits #3 for some pretty boy who covers it, and you’re prettier than he is, to boot!

#17 — Let’s Pretend — Another Raspberries hit.

#18 — On Broadway (cover)

#19 — Love Is All That Matters

#20 — Marathon Man

#21 — Get the Message

#22 — End of the World

#23— Baby I Need Your Lovin’ (cover)

#24 — Haven’t We Come a Long Way, Baby?

#25 — Starting Over

Honorable Mention: Reason to Try (1988), Tonight You’re Mine (The Inside Story), Run Away, Great Expectations, No Hard Feelings, Everything, It Hurts Too Much, Desperate Fools

After releasing four albums with The Raspberries from 1972 to 1974, Eric Carmen went solo in 1975. His first solo album, Eric Carmen, was one of the best-selling albums of 1975. The album’s first single “All By Myself” went all the way to number two on the Billboard Hot 100. The follow-up single “Never Gonna Fall In Love Again” peaked at 22 in the top 100.

167 views

You upvoted this

Add a comment...

Lew Bundles

· Thu

I would put “Tonight” ahead of Overnight Sensation and Boats Against The Current has to be a top tenner….You should join in these type of discussions over at his website as you certainly seem like a knowledgeable fan…

Upvote

·

Mike Burch

· 6h ago

Lew, thanks for your input. I agree about “Tonight” — a song I know but had forgotten. There are too many good songs for a top ten, so I have solved the problem by making it a top 25. I listened to “Boats Against the Current” and raised it into my top five with some rather lavish praise.

https://www.quora.com/Is-singer-musician-Eric-Carmen-as-famous-as-he-should-be-given-his-level-of-talent/answer/Mike-Burch?__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=30769268848&comment_id=239689407&comment_type=2

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lew Bundles said:

#8 — Go All the Way — My favorite of the Raspberries hits, and a damn good upbeat, up-tempo love (or lust) song. And pretty hot and sexy with “If you believe that what we’re doing is right, close your eyes and be still.” Carmen reminds me of Paul McCartney in his vocals, especially the “oh yeahs.” And he keeps hitting a power high note that most male singers can’t, like Elvis.

I noticed that the lyrics he's quoting here are not from "Go all the Way" but from "I wanna  be with you"

• Haha 1

Regarding #19 — Love Is All That Matters - that one seems to be VERY popular in terms of "covers" by people using it for a wedding (reception) song, etc. There are TONS of YouTube videos of "covers", karaoke, or other "renditions". I've seen no less than 100 of them?! 😉 I characterize it as the "most earworm-y song" composed by Eric Carmen. It's the melody you can't get out of your head once it's in it! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1