Joe Walsh unflattering Raspberries remark...

Lew Bundles

https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-walsh-gang/4960

Joe Walsh & Rasperries

The Walsh Gang

Joe Walsh

by Jon Tiven

There are quite a few Americans lurking about who took their basic roots from British Rock. Do you consider yourself among them?

Yes I do, but that's a secret; I stole licks from Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and Peter Green. In terms of song structure, I like to copy the Beatles - "Midnight Man" is fairly Beatley.

Do you rate any American guitarists?

Not really. Duane Allman knew what he was doing... Albert King... James Burton. Jackie Browne's guitar player scares me.

How do you feel towards other contemporary performers who come from the same musical roots as you — Todd Rundgren and the Raspberries for instance?

They get into side trips which distort their music. I'm probably into some sidetrips too, but I don't let it visibly interfere with my music. I'm not into the school of thought where you get dressed up like a flash-board, or wear glitter - that all distracts from the music. I'm not interested in theatrics at all. I'm just into my music. Part of that belief is also not to brag about it, so I'm not saying I'm right and they're wrong.

• 1 month later...