Flack over Tonight You’re Mine album cover...

Lew Bundles

Lew, I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past 20 years here about this album cover... I haven't gotten to any of that yet.... so much catching up to do here. But I know when I first saw the album cover, my jaw almost hit the floor. And all of the things in the article I must say are all things that I quietly kept to myself but I thought the same thing. I don't know the full story on it ...I just can't reconcile that Eric would be part of a cover like this ..if you know and could shed a little light on what he said about it I would be very interested in knowing. That being said, some of his best writing is on this album. My favourite song of his is on here... it's the song that I can play over and over again... his voice is so attractive if I can put it that way. All for Love ... because I can listen to it endlessly...  I was just a young innocent girl about to begin my first music teaching assignment in a Catholic School oh, I pretty much kept this a secret this album. Good thing my mom or dad did not see this album cover.😱

Okay...Not very convincing but I'll accept that.🤔

Still trying to get my hands on Marathon Man. I missed out on a lot and I think the book could probably fill me in on quite a bit. EBay Amazon anywhere from $100 to $400. But this would not be a book I would want to buy on Kindle or other e-readers, as I love collectibles. But I may have to. Thanks Kirk for keeping me up-to-date.

Rhonda 

• Like 2

A lesson in needing to always have control over your product, what your name is put on etc. To me Eric Carmen's  music was not just great, but classy, and I remember in 1980 being disappointed in that cover also. It's better to not sell a single copy than to sully your name and product, imho.

Having said that I know that album cover was not of Eric's involvement...it was a mistake and one of those things that unfairly bites us when we're not as vigilant as maybe we could have be.

• Like 1

Needing to be a "Marathon Man" is only something desired by you insecure guys, not self evidently macho guys like me. If I could make that 8 minute time 5 minutes, I'd love it. 

Truth is, as long as Lewisa's beer fetching times don't slow down, I'm a happy James.  : )

• Haha 1

tonight_youre_mine.jpg

I did some digging and was able to corroborate most of Eric's recollections on the "Tonight You're Mine" LP cover.

I contacted Ria Lewerke, the art director on that album, who told me, "There were a lot of images stripped together, but the model was there. It was the '80s, so no one was thinking it was inappropriate at the time—more like fun. But we could not do it today."

So, sounds like Eric and the girl did a bunch of poses. And the art director stripped the image used on the LP cover together from various poses. Which means, they were probably not actually together in exactly the pose used on the cover.

And if past albums are any indicator, Eric probably did not have approval of the finished album design.

Case closed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Bernie. This topic was probably visited before but since Lew brought it up I just had to ask.... it's a question I had for so long.  So mind-boggling to me that the artist did not have a say in the album cover especially one like this but I would say..yup.. thank you..case closed, for me! I will just continue to enjoy the music that's inside the cover....ALL FOR LOVE...so good!!

Rhonda,

Traditionally, artists do not have control over the packaging of their albums. I know the Raspberries never saw their albums until they were released, and the same goes for Eric's solo LPs. Although I think he did have a hand in helping design the "Boats" package. But since that was a financial fiasco, it was probably the last solo LP he was asked his opinion on.

• Thanks 1

Bernie thanks!! ... I actually did know that about the Boats album as he talked about it in one of the interviews you have posted. So unreal that they don't have a say in their album covers. It can make or break somebody's career even.  True story...my  five brothers would have had a huge problem if they knew I had an album cover like that in the early 80s. I kept it well hidden!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, Rhonda B said:

Okay...Not very convincing but I'll accept that.🤔

Still trying to get my hands on Marathon Man. I missed out on a lot and I think the book could probably fill me in on quite a bit. EBay Amazon anywhere from $100 to $400. But this would not be a book I would want to buy on Kindle or other e-readers, as I love collectibles. But I may have to. Thanks Kirk for keeping me up-to-date.

Rhonda 

Rhonda, I hope you can find one because it’s an amazing book! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

Rhonda, if you don´t find a copy, don´t fret, Kirk has it memorized.  : )

Was that a left-handed compliment? It's o.k., I'm left-handed. Besides, I could do worse...like memorizing the James Harem Handbook😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3