"Bad Time"..Grand Funk

James

It´s my favorite of the songs of theirs I´ve heard. It rocks, and has great melody, like Eric Carmen songs. I bought the single back in the day, love it even more today.

I just learned today that Jimmy Ienner produced the song, ..the greatness of it and any similarity to Eric Carmen tunes may not be coincidence. You guys know more than I do on this stuff. Opine! : )

• Like 5

Love, love, love this song!!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

My favorite GFR tune, also!!!

Have been known to hit the repeat button on the CD player on this song all the way to the barn when playing their greatest hits in the car.

🐎🎶

• Like 1

I have heard that it has always burned Mark’s ass that the Railroad’s biggest hits were not written by him...

After carrying the songwriting load for years, Brewer pens We’re An American Band, and back to back smash covers of Locomotion and Some Kind of Wonderful always wrankled his feathers(he’s an Indian)...

P.S. These guys should be in the rock and roll HOF...They were HUGE at one point, pre James’ harem days...

• Like 2

You forget Lew, that in the 60s, Angie Dickinson tried to bribe my Mom to date the 9 year old James, but sadly, my Mom had integrity so she told Angie that there would be no dating little James, as Angie, even back then, was over 19. Sometimes my Mom went way overboard with rules.  I suggested to my Mom we give Angie an old chick hardship exception, but my Mom told me to go to my room.      : (

• Haha 1

That video Bernie posted of a recent performance of "Bad Time" is incredible. At that advanced age he/they played it as good or better than back in the day. Lew is right, Farner's still got it.

PS I'm not a big fan of "We're an American Band" nor "Some kind of wonderful". Their version of "The Locomotion" though is hands down the best for my tastes, and a great pop/rock tune.

I'm just now delving deeper into Grand Funk, but at this point I'm sensing that like many rock & roll bands, their best stuff is mostly in their harder edged rocking deeper cuts. Groups like REO, Rush, Foghat, Arrowsmith, and Thin Lizzy come to mind.

Great song. Bands don’t start their songs off slow and  go fast anymore like this, similar to the great “Runaround Sue” from Dion and very common in the 30’s. I was at a songwriting seminar a few years ago hosted by Mark Hudson and he talked about this, although he didn’t mention the GFR tune.

Remember when Eric was going to play on  that aborted Beatles tribute tour before Raspberries reunited? Wasn’t Mark Farner also in the “band” with him?

• Like 1