Sleep With Me- range rover

Kirk

Well here I go with my first opinion on this site, and I LOVE talking about music. Sooo.. this guy has done a very good attempt on this song and I do actually appreciate his voice  and I give him credit for doing the octave change.. he sounds very good in the higher register. I so love this song and I'm always in awe of Eric's melodies and especially the chord changes... and his unique use of chord inversions which is what attracted me to his music in the first place.  I'm a real chord girl. So because I have very high expectations as a musician, I expect when somebody lays out their music on social media that please, please, get the chords correct, but of course I am not even sure if he was the one playing the guitar. In any case, I can't help it but my ears cannot handle hearing sluffed-over chords in the place of a unique beautiful chord that the writer has purposely put in the song to move you. They missed the mark on most of the chords in the chorus. When Eric sings this song my favorite part is when he goes into his lower voice register with the words "how good it all can be" ... for me that chord progression has to be right. But, that being said, if we just focus on the voice he kept it quite close to the original. I was really waiting for that powerful Bridge. But that's just me. Don't mess with Carmen's music!😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Because Eric writes most of his songs on the piano, it's not always easy to transpose them to guitar. Wally Bryson's superhero talent was being able to figure out how to play Eric's sometimes very complex piano chords on the guitar. That's why GATW sounds so amazing. Or in the words of the great guitarist Dave Edmunds when Eric was teaching him how to play GATW on the All-Starr tour: "There's a different bloody chord for every word of this song!"

😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Sleep with me” is one of the most controversial songs I’ve ever seen when it comes to splitting fans of Eric Carmen. I absolutely love it. Definitely in my top 10 of his, maybe even top five. In fact, I saw Kirk post this guys version of it on Facebook and I couldn’t respond because my head was about to explode on some of the people on there so I’m glad over here Eric is getting positive reviews. 

Listen to Eric‘s version at the 3:24 mark of the song. The “ohhh” that he growls is something everyone who’s ever sang rock ‘n’ roll should aspire for. Utter magnificence!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Because Eric writes most of his songs on the piano, it's not always easy to transpose them to guitar. Wally Bryson's superhero talent was being able to figure out how to play Eric's sometimes very complex piano chords on the guitar. That's why GATW sounds so amazing. Or in the words of the great guitarist Dave Edmunds when Eric was teaching him how to play GATW on the All-Starr tour: "There's a different bloody chord for every word of this song!

Bernie, I do know the difficulties of translating difficult piano chords to guitar but I so appreciate your great comment on Wally Bryson! Thumbs up also to the musicians on the All-Star tour realizing this about Eric's Talent.

23 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Because Eric writes most of his songs on the piano, it's not always easy to transpose them to guitar. Wally Bryson's superhero talent was being able to figure out how to play Eric's sometimes very complex piano chords on the guitar. That's why GATW sounds so amazing. Or in the words of the great guitarist Dave Edmunds when Eric was teaching him how to play GATW on the All-Starr tour: "There's a different bloody chord for every word of this song!"

😆

Poor Dave should be nominated for sainthood!

He survived partnership with Nick & mastered Eric's complicated song.

Love Dave Edmunds!!!

❤️🎸

• Like 1

Susie,

I met Dave backstage after a few All-Starr gigs. He was a very nice guy. Super talented, too! His solo spotlight on the tour had him rotating between acoustic versions of "Lady Madonna" or "Classical Gas" on the guitar, depending on which night you caught the show. Quite a display of fretboard wizardry!

NOTE: This clip is not from the All-Starr tour, but shows you how incredible he is! Hard to believe it's only one guy playing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

I met Dave backstage after a few All-Starr gigs. He was a very nice guy. Super talented, too! His solo spotlight on the tour had him rotating between acoustic versions of "Lady Madonna" or "Classical Gas" on the guitar, depending on which night you caught the show. Quite a display of fretboard wizardry!

NOTE: This clip is not from the All-Starr tour, but shows you how incredible he is! Hard to believe it's only one guy playing!

Agreed, Bernie!!!

Dave is an absolute sweetheart and one of the most humble and stable guys in the business.

So glad you got to meet him.

His skill ranks right up there with James Burton who is just as humble and kind.

Probably why both of these fellas lasted so long in the business.

Zero attitude.  They just want to play.

🎸❤️🎸❤️