Interesting Hypothetical Question

Vinnie B Trask

If the original Raspberries were to reform today for an album and tour with every particpating but Eric Carmen.

Instead the band introduce a younger singer that sing very much like but not quite Mr Carmen. Their show would contain song off a new record plus the easpberrie greatist songs,

WOULD YOU BUY THE RECORD?

WOULD YOU SEE THEM ON TOUR,

OR SIMPLY PASS ON THE WHOLE THING BECUASE ERIC IS NOT IN IT.

A "JOURNEY" LIKE QUESTION

VBT INC 2021

I guess it depends on the reason for Eric's absence. If he were still alive and the 'new' group was promoted as Raspberries, probably not. If Eric had passed, and everybody else wanted to get together for a gig and needed a lead singer, that would be different. The new group without Eric could be called the Newberries LOL!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Raspbernie changed the title to Interesting Hypothetical Question

In 1998, when Scott McCarl released his incredible "Play On" CD, he held a concert for his launch party. His backing band at the Odeon—a small club in Cleveland, Ohio—included Jim Bonfanti, Wally Bryson and Dave Smalley.

Ken Sharp and I had made plans to attend. Before the show, we stopped by Eric's house and tried to convince him to go with us to the show. If we were successful, we'd get to see Raspberries live—with Eric—for the first time in our lives! Ultimately, Eric decided not to go, feeling that his presence would steal the thunder from Scott and his new CD.

Over the years, I've seen Eric play alone. I've seen Jim play alone. I've seen Wally play alone. I've seen various combinations of the guys play together, along with many of the original band reunion shows.

I love this band so much, that I have always supported them—in whatever combination—and will continue to do so.

• Like 2

Another interesting question would be the reverse!!  

WHAT IF ERIC DEICED TO RECORD AN ALBUM AND TOUR BEHIND IT AND CALLED HIM SLEF THE RASPBERRIES WITH NO PREVIUOS MEMEBERS IN THE BAND.

Now Eric would not have to do this as he has made a name for himself as a solo artist but the question is relevant.

Guns and Roses made some records or record and toured with Axyl Rose being the only original member,  he could have gone solo and had the same buzz about that as well so................

My answer is I also wouldn´t support that version of "The Raspberries" as without the other 3 (5) it´s not the Raspberries. Though it would be closer to the Raspberries than the version you presented in your first post of this thread...as Eric Carmen almost was the Raspberries via his song writing, leadership, singing, playing, vision etc. Eric could have had the same success with the Raspberries if he´d hired 3 other guys. I´m not poo pooing the 5 other guys as I´m a big fan of them.... I´m only highlighting the genius of Eric Carmen.

James

• Thanks 1