Top REO Speedwagon Songs

James

Mine:

1. Like You Do (live)
2. Summer Love (live)
3. Golden Country (live)
4. Back on the Road Again
5. Being Kind (Can Hurt Someone Sometimes) ..(live)
6. 157 Riverside Avenue (live)
7. Ridin the Storm Out (live)
8. Only the Strong Survive
9. Time for me to Fly
10. Say You Love me or say Goodnight
11. Don´t Let Him Go
12. Heavy on your Love

I left off their 2 huge ballad hits, both were great, but I got so sick of them I can´t list them here, though they belong on this list.

Ok, so I'll post some honorable mentions:

Lay me Down live - I've probably never heard this song mentioned even by REO fans, but it is awesome, and probably should've made my top 10, or even top 5.

Music Man -  used to be higher on my list, cool little rocking Cronin tune.

Queenie - heard it on deep cut radio in the summer of 1977 and was an instant fan, went out and bought the live album it was on, and presto..I was an REO freak. Based on that one live album, which along with Status Quo's, is the best I've heard.  I had more luck making my friends into REO freaks than I did doing the same re Eric Carmen.

PS it's been a long time since I listened to their studio albums, gonna give them a listen, maybe today, and make some adjustments here based on any new inspirations that hit me.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, James said:

Mine:

1. Like You Do (live)
2. Summer Love (live)
3. Golden Country (live)
4. Back on the Road Again
5. Being Kind (Can Hurt Someone Sometimes) ..(live)
6. 157 Riverside Avenue (live)
7. Ridin the Storm Out (live)
8. Only the Strong Survive
9. Time for me to Fly
10. Say You Love me or say Goodnight
11. Don´t Let Him Go
12. Heavy on your Love

I left off their 2 huge ballad hits, both were great, but I got so sick of them I can´t list them here, though they belong on this list.

i noticed you left off the more commercial material

1978-09-28-reo_speedwagon_at_the_palladium-05.jpeg

Saw REO back in the day. Lead guitarist Gary Richrath (R.I.P.) was a buzzsaw on that Les Paul. He had awesome tone and was a big part of their sound. Here's a pic I took of him at the Palladium in NYC in September '78. Oh, and the opening act that night? U.F.O.

:cool:

Bernie

• Thanks 1

Great pic Bernie!... Gary could make the lead guitar sing, along with Francis Rossi, as great as any lead guitar player I´ve heard. See songs like "Summer Love", "Golden Country", "Lucky for you" (listening to it now). He also oozed charisma on stage, and was their best song writer, although Kevin Cronin was right there with him. But in the end, it´s Gary Richrath who runs thru the bloodstream of REO Speedwagon. He was the founder and created the REO sound.

Vinnie, I just rate´m as I see it. The hits were strong, but like many bands, not their best stuff. REO was strong regardless of the genre of song they played, but they were at their apex when they rock & rolled.

Listening to "Tuna Piano..."....I´ve listened tot he album a 1000 times over the years, but it´s been a while. I always liked the album a bunch, but I think I underrated it because it wasn´t their live album from the year prior, which to me was as great an album as there is. Listening toTuna Fish today - the album is stellar, wall to wall good-great songs. Wall to wall strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Listening to "Nine Lives". I liked it a bunch back in the day, but think it´s even better than I gave it credit for back then.

Every song is good-great, not a single filler. Of the 3 albums post Live 1977, it´s the hardest rocking. I think it´s right there with Tuna and better than "Hi Infidelity".

My rankings of the songs below,...Craig (or anyone)....how do you rank the songs on this album?

1. Back on the road again: - A+   ....Gary´s lead jam at the end probably justifies him getting a writing credit, but he didn´t. Bruce Hall explodes out of the chutes with his first penned song on an REO album!
2. Only the strong survive: A
3. Heavy on your love: A-   ...Cronin and Richrath team up on the album´s opener.
4. Rock & Roll Music: A-  ....my favorite version. Cronin sings it well, Gary´s guitar rocks....and Doughty´s keyboards are stellar here.
5. Easy Money:  A-
6. Take Me: A-
7. I need you tonight: A-    ...showcases Cronin´s talent for writing melody.
8. Meet me on the mountain: B+
9. Drop It: B+

Really, 3-10 are all strong, and on any given day any of them could rate #3. Really consistent album.

James

When I created my REO playlist, I included the first six songs on my list. I remembered that "Meet me On The Mountain" was close to making it, and after giving the album another listen, I might add it. I really don't care for the last two songs. Here are my rankings:

1. Back On the Road Again  A
2. Only The Strong Survive  A-
3. Drop It B+
4. Heavy On Your Love B-
5. Easy Money B-
6. Rock & Roll Music B-
7. Meet Me On The Mountain C+
8. I Need You Tonight D
9. Take Me D

I'm partial to "Hi Infidelity". Love that album. So many of my top songs come from it. Once again, there really isn't a whole lot separating #1 from #20 on my list. These are all A+ or A songs to me. (and many more A's not on the list)

1. Time For Me To Fly
2. Keep On Loving You
3. Someone Tonight
4. Ridin' The Storm Out (Live)
5. I'll Follow You
6. Don't Let Him Go
7. Can't Fight This Feeling
8. Sing To me
9. Someone Tonight
10. In My Dreams
11. Follow My Heart
12. Roll With The Changes