What are we doing here

Jim L

Jim, imo we as a society need to lighten up and not be  offended by stuff that is innocuous. Especially because we live in a society, in 2021,  that is uber uptight about everything, to the point that we're crushing the individual's ability to express him/herself uniquely -  which was one of the great contributions of the 1960s.

Because many Americans are afraid of being sacrilegious to the mob, they don't speak or be creative freely, and thus our freedom and creativity are being suffocated. If we're going to slightly err, imo we should err on the side of free expression and fun.

PS when you came on here you were treated exceptionally well, given you posted as offensively against a long time member as any posts I've seen here in 15 years. You posted maliciously, but the person you posted against turned the other cheek, decided to look deeper and thus saw the good in you, and invited you to post more. Quite impressive was Lew's response.

So please use some perspective when deciding whether to accuse some of us of being "offensive".

PPS.. you know your stuff re: Eric Carmen and the Raspberries, ..so I appreciate reading your posts and you being a member here.

James

• Like 2

As someone with a handicapped individual in the family, I understand Jim's concern about the walkers comment, however, I believe that the intent of the post was made as a jest as to the age of concert goers rather than an attack on the handicapped.

And yes, the comments do get sexual, and after awhile, it gets old.  I believe it is meant in good fun, but this is a public forum, and family members of all ages do have access to all but Cartoon World and Ecstacy.

As a both a model and a writer, I am quite comfortable with both my body and freedom of speech/expression.

Restoration comedy is one of my favorite literary eras, and it is quite bawdy and licentious, so "comedy of manners" topics fail to offend me.  But, it has its time and place.

My suggestion is to use some discretion so everyone feels welcome.

Maybe some of our female members may return if the fraternity hijinks mellow.

😊

• Like 1

The females that used to post here were much more proactive in the "fraternity hijinks" than the males. They were much more sexual in their posting than were the males. And we loved their hijinks because it was in good fun. And they mostly enjoyed the hijinks of us males. But 10 years ago is a century ago in woke time...so it seems we have become uptight, even here at this site, with good natured fun that includes innocent shots of a female's bosom, or a good natured  joke about us getting old that referenced people in wheel chairs etc etc. 

But like the new world we live in, the abusers always claim abused status, and everyone falls for it...and the contributions of history, and loyalty itself carry little weight.

Anyway, the James Harem members are eating White Castle hamburgers tonight, so I gotta go blow out the several candles that are lit around the condo, cuz if I don't.....

TO BE CONTINUED

• Haha 1

Vinnie is probably correct here. 

And it would be a huge loss for the site and it's members if Susie were not to return. She's all class, hyper knowledgeable....and always a voice of reason and moderation. Hopefully she'll decide to stay.

As for sexual content, I admit some posts make me squirm, too. But I have to keep reminding myself that this is a “rock and roll” message board. “Sex, drugs and rock and roll,” remember? Back when all of our lives were majorly impacted by music, any issue of “Rolling Stone” magazine had more sexual content and filthy language than the average high school boy’s locker room. So, how to balance that out in 2021, when a word, a picture or a simple thought or expression that is contrary to one’s own sends people’s blood pressure skyrocketing? How do you do it? I’m asking because I honestly don’t know. I try to police this site with a soft touch. But maybe I’ve been miscalculating. Maybe I was right to close the board when I did. Maybe it’s best to have everyone go back to being mad about something else than EricCarmen.com — or maybe the reason we all came here in the first place is key. Wasn’t our love for a certain artist’s music the emotional magnet that pulled us all together? If not, then maybe this whole thing has been a failed experiment.

I did not see the picture in question, Bernie but it was nice of you to apologize as it probably was not necessary. 

In general, it would seem Jim L is looking for a reaction and can be quite troll like.

This guy is suppose to be new here so if he does not like what is posted here than post somewhere else.

and Susie B it seems like you would not let a troll scare you or deter you from leaving here. Hang in there and block those who annoy or offend you!

5 minutes ago, Vinnie B Trask said:

I did not see the picture in question, Bernie but it was nice of you to apologize as it probably was not necessary. 

It wasn't a photo, Vinnie. Just a comment I made about attending an "Oldies Show" and realizing that the average age of the audience made me rethink going to another.

Bernie

6 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

As for sexual content, I admit some posts make me squirm, too. But I have to keep reminding myself that this is a “rock and roll” message board. “Sex, drugs and rock and roll,” remember? Back when all of our lives were majorly impacted by music, any issue of “Rolling Stone” magazine had more sexual content and filthy language than the average high school boy’s locker room. So, how to balance that out in 2021, when a word, a picture or a simple thought or expression that is contrary to one’s own sends people’s blood pressure skyrocketing? How do you do it? I’m asking because I honestly don’t know. I try to police this site with a soft touch. But maybe I’ve been miscalculating. Maybe I was right to close the board when I did. Maybe it’s best to have everyone go back to being mad about something else than EricCarmen.com — or maybe the reason we all came here in the first place is key. Wasn’t our love for a certain artist’s music the emotional magnet that pulled us all together? If not, then maybe this whole thing has been a failed experiment.

Bernie,

The board is great not only because of our mutual love and interest in Eric carmen and The Raspberries but also because this is an interesting group of people.

Sure things fly off the handle every now and then but I love this board and it is the only place i will post. You can't let Jim l or anyone else have you regret the decision to reopen the board. The experience is forever ongoing and not a failure.

Had to say this .....and also I appreciate the fact that you are a great author and have allot to be proud of!!

• Like 3

James is right. You can't have a group of people gather together physically or via forums/chat boards without disagreements. It's unavoidable and inevitable. You just have to handle it as best you can and move forward.

Vinnie is also right with everything he said in his post.

"Savage" Craig has spoken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That has a cool ring to it, "Savage Craig". Luckily you glomped onto that name before Kirk could. : )

Also, I liked Vinnie´s post a lot, too. Is it time to start taking "VBT/Bundles 2024" seriously?

TO BE CONTINUED... (I hope)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, susie b said:

As someone with a handicapped individual in the family, I understand Jim's concern about the walkers comment, however, I believe that the intent of the post was made as a jest as to the age of concert goers rather than an attack on the handicapped.

And yes, the comments do get sexual, and after awhile, it gets old.  I believe it is meant in good fun, but this is a public forum, and family members of all ages do have access to all but Cartoon World and Ecstacy.

As a both a model and a writer, I am quite comfortable with both my body and freedom of speech/expression.

Restoration comedy is one of my favorite literary eras, and it is quite bawdy and licentious, so "comedy of manners" topics fail to offend me.  But, it has its time and place.

My suggestion is to use some discretion so everyone feels welcome.

Maybe some of our female members may return if the fraternity hijinks mellow.

😊

I joined (under a different screen name) EC.com in 2005, when it was THE place to be for social interaction, long before "hatebook" and ""bitter" ever existed. And I can state unequivocally that some of the most bawdy and suggestive postings were made by female members. When great talents like Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock refuse to book college venues because of the snowflakes' sensitive feelings, we are doomed as a free society, as anyone with intellectual honesty will attest to by watching what goes on every day in the current "woke" and "cancel culture" environment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:34 AM, Raspbernie said:

As for sexual content in the public domain, I guess nobody here watches television, listens to lyrics of much of the modern music, nor pages through fashion magazines, or even Sports Illustrated. Sex is everywhere you turn. And it is being influential on younger and younger age groups. We can see female celebreties pose 90% naked in photo shoots, but just try looking the wrong way at a woman and you will be prosecuted for sexual harrassment.  I guess if it weren't for double standards, there'd be no standards at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The naked human female body, in the right setting ( a lot of classic art comes to mind ) is actually a piece of Gods art itself, IMHO, and quite wonderful to view, even publicly. Other expositions of the female body nude can be completely innocent, and even fun, ..that is how I see the photo I posted of Sophie Marceau's boob via a wardrobe malfunction. I am sure she herself sees it as innocent and grounds for a nice smile, and grounds for appreciation from us males who appreciate female beauty.

Then there are other settings of nudity, or skimpy dressed women, that are raunchy and negative.

So my point is if I post a boob, etc, ...I post, per my own judgment, innocent/harmless photos or drawings. My point is one nude does not equal, necessarily, another nude.

So that is why I don't get at all those offended by what I posted. But that is my perspective only, but one I believe is shared by most rational people.

Because of the mob working to shut people like me up, when I speak or post, if it's a close call, I tend today to err on the side of "dangerous", as my own middle finger being shot at the mob and those kneeling to the mob.

PS the females here can opine on the nude male body. My "homophobia" precludes me from that territory.   ; )

James

• Haha 1