Jump to content

Deep Tracks - Raspberries


Recommended Posts

Time to move on to the Raspberries deep tracks...

 

RASPBERRIES (1972)

Released Songs: Don't Want To Say Goodbye (#86), Go All The Way (#5)

* I Can Remember (4 stars)

An early classic that takes you on an 8 minute journey of variations of tempo and arrangements. Also loved the live version at the reunion shows. I do like "I Saw The Light" a lot, but this is the standout deep track for me.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good choice, Craig! So many to choose from. I like I Saw The Light as a deep track. I like Come Around And See Me as a deep track. But, I'm going to take Waiting for my deep track. This one just begs to be redone with just Eric and his piano. I got a glimpse of what that would sound like when Eric was on Good Morning America. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

FRESH (1973)

Released Songs: I Wanna Be With You (#16), Let's Pretend (#35), Drivin' Around

* Nobody Knows (4 stars)

Fresh was the first Raspberries studio album that I purchased, and this was the unknown track that jumped out at me instantly. By the time I listened to the album twice, "I Reach For The Light" and "If You Change Your Mind" were in the competition. But I chose this one because it's almost perfect Beatlesque pop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Craig Benfer said:

FRESH (1973)

Released Songs: I Wanna Be With You (#16), Let's Pretend (#35), Drivin' Around

* Nobody Knows (4 stars)

Fresh was the first Raspberries studio album that I purchased, and this was the unknown track that jumped out at me instantly. By the time I listened to the album twice, "I Reach For The Light" and "If You Change Your Mind" were in the competition. But I chose this one because it's almost perfect Beatlesque pop.

Nobody Knows is a solid track!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SIDE 3 (1973)

Released Songs: Tonight (#69), I'm A Rocker (#94), Ecstasy

* Ecstasy (5 stars)

The fact that I can select "Ecstasy" as a deep track is mind blowing to me. How this song didn't become a major hit is beyond me. And that goes tenfold for "Tonight". These two songs should be classics known by everyone. For an honorable mention deep track..."Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak"., a great track written and sung by Dave Smalley. This would have been my selection for a third release. I guess by this point, Capital was stuck on only releasing Eric tunes. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I can’t pick Tonight, I will pick Ecstacy although I have played I’m A Rocker many more times…Eric’s 4 numbers on this album are stunningly superb…If you could come up with songs like this and just barely make a ripple on the charts, they had to realize that they were never gonna hit it really big…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of the studio versions, I´ll take "On the Beach". One of the most underrated songs ever. Rocking with a pure melody. They could jam that live even better if they wanted to, a la "I´m a Rocker".....where they could extend the song a couple minutes with a rocking instrumental jam. But, imho, Eric was too generous and allowed some of the other guys´ tunes to get on the live albums in place of superior songs like "On the Beach".

But I only have one life, and so much to do, so I´ll have to wait till we all get to heaven to re-produce Side 3 and the live albums for the Raspberries.

: )

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, re: Fresh, I agree with "If you change your mind". Funny I always saw "If you change your mind" and "Nobody Knows" as kinda like twins, but not identical, with "IYCYM" being way more good looking than its twin. 

Or something like that.  : )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lew Bundles said:

If I can’t pick Tonight, I will pick Ecstacy although I have played I’m A Rocker many more times…Eric’s 4 numbers on this album are stunningly superb…If you could come up with songs like this and just barely make a ripple on the charts, they had to realize that they were never gonna hit it really big…

I always liked Ecstacy but now that I've heard I'm a Rocker live I have to choose that one

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

STARTING OVER (1974)

Released Songs: Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) #18, Cruisin' Music

* Starting Over (5 stars)

Lots to pick from on this album. "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" "Play On" & "Party's Over" all deserve high honorable mention, but I had to select "Starting Over". It's just another one of Eric's master crafted ballads. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Kirk, there's something about "Waiting" - such a sweet song - an amazing song written by 12 year old Eric! As I listen to it, once again, it occurred to me to wonder if Eric enlisted his Aunt Muriel to play the violin line(s) in the studio.  The orchestration on that track sounds like "real deal" strings and not MelloTron synthesizer?!!!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Helen G said:

Like Kirk, there's something about "Waiting" - such a sweet song - an amazing song written by 12 year old Eric! As I listen to it, once again, it occurred to me to wonder if Eric enlisted his Aunt Muriel to play the violin line(s) in the studio.  The orchestration on that track sounds like "real deal" strings and not MelloTron synthesizer?!!!

Good ear, Helen. It wasn't Aunt Muriel, but it was famed composer/arranger Jimmie Haskell. Eric and Wally flew to L.A. and worked with him on string and horn arrangements for Raspberries' first LP. Eric was probably thrilled to work with him as Haskell has a litany of great work in his resume including "Bridge Over Troubled Water." 

Bernie

PS: Welcome to EricCarmen.com!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...