Actresses..

James

I ordered  "Day for night" based on your recommendation, Susie. I'll take any excuse to buy a Jacqueline Bissett flick! Also received a couple I ordered a couple weeks ago....."The Outlaw", with Jane Russell, a controversial film in 1943. I think, as an aside, Jane R might have been the only Hollywood dame Howard Hughes was unable to bag...never understood how so many gave it up for Hughes.

Also received  "Joan of Arc" starring Ingrid Bergman. I already gave the one with Leelee Sobieski.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, James said:

I ordered  "Day for night" based on your recommendation, Susie. I'll take any excuse to buy a Jacqueline Bissett flick! Also received a couple I ordered a couple weeks ago....."The Outlaw", with Jane Russell, a controversial film in 1943. I think, as an aside, Jane R might have been the only Hollywood dame Howard Hughes was unable to bag...never understood how so many gave it up for Hughes.

Also received  "Joan of Arc" starring Ingrid Bergman. I already gave the one with Leelee Sobieski.

Nice!!!

If you like silent films, no film library is complete without a copy of La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc.

This 1928 French film is magnificent.  

Also, please consider the 1927 Abel Gance silent masterpiece Napoléon.  I could go on for hours discussing the innovation of this film, but this isn't a history of film lecture.

Napoléon is a long epic film but very worthwhile!

A great website to purchase films of note is Criterion.

https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse/list

Screenshot_20210512-215624.png

Screenshot_20210512-220300.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I´d thought about the Joan silent flick, actually had it in the cart to buy a few days ago, the reviews are thru the roof, but I sensed that the setting was a court room which might bore me so I deleted it. I´ll give it a shot though based on your review Susie. And I´ll do the same with Napolean silent. Sounds interesting. Thank you again.

• Thanks 1

James, if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, there is a 5 episode series titled Warrior Women.   The subject of the premier episode is Joan of Arc.  It was originally produced for the Discovery Channel and gives a great concise lesson on Joan and takes the viewer to actual locations.  The series is hosted by another one of my favorite actresses, Miss Lucy Lawless.

I give Lucy and the producers of Xena Warrior Princess total credit for striking a massive blow to the male dominated action gendre for female super heroes.  Before Xena, with the exception of martial arts films,  female heroines were pretty girly.  If you look back to the television Wonder Woman or Charlie's Angels, their fighting styles, if one can call them that, are a low impact sport.  Yvonne Craig with her powerful dancer kicks as Batgirl was about as tough as it got.  The female crime fighter was pretty laughable. 

Lucy and Xena changed that.  To Xena, life is a full contact sport.  A plethora of action packed female super hero vehicles soon followed.  Sarah Michelle Geller as Buffy deserves a nod as does the short lived series, Birds of Prey, featuring Ashley Scott as the Huntress.

Although the character of Xena was originally written as a villainess to appear in a three episode arc of Hercules the Legendary Journeys, the spinoff became a bigger phenomenon than the parent show.

With the success of characters like Xena and Buffy, the big screen followed suit and began to feature more athletic and deadly women such as Angelina Jolie's magnificent portrayal of the uber cool and deadly Lara Croft.

Even the first Wonder Woman film with Gal Gadot borrows heavily from Xena.  When watching that film I saw shots that were totally lifted from XWP, and WW's soundtrack is a definite homage to the fantastic XWP score composed by Joseph LoDuca, Bulgarian chants and all.

For a low budget little tv show that was pre-CGI (or at least CGI in its naissance) it is pretty amazing.  The show was shot for the first couple of seasons on 16mm film to be nimble enough to follow the action.  Instead of CGI, they used skilled stunt people and old school camera tricks from the good old days of Hollywood such as forced perspective.

I finally saw Atomic Blonde, which has been on my list for awhile.  Charlize Theron is amazing as the Cold War era spy battling her way through events at collapse of the Berlin Wall.  Her character owes a debt to Lucy/Xena and Angelina/Lara.

Battle on Ladies!!!!

• Like 1

I liked Bionic Woman, and Angie D in Police Woman......there is also a series from the 1950s called Decoy that I bought but haven't watched. It is supposed to have been the true groundbreaker for female crime fighters as it starred Beverly Garland (Mrs. Steven Douglas of My Three Sons) as TV's first female cop. I look forward to watching that one. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Audrey Hepburn... Grace Kelly.... Elizabeth Taylor... Sophia Loren.... The classics. If you're so inclined, check out this video full of snippets of Best Actress Oscar winners. It's about 13 minutes, but it's a nice nostalgia blitz of famous faces and films:

• Thanks 2

Some notable misses for me:

Hedy Lamar, Samson & Delilah

Constance Bennett, Topper

Helena Bonham-Carter....should have won for something, no?

Greta Garbo,.....ditto

Olivia Hussey, Romeo and Juliet

Leelee Sobieski, My first mister

Ali McGraw, Love Story

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1