Matthew C. Clark

songwriter Barry Mason dies

LC   

I love "Love Grows." It might have been the first non-Monkees song my older sister glommed onto way back in the day. And it's in that ilk of really inspired, perfect pop songs from the 1960s/early '70s. I include it on a playlist with: 

• Walk Away Renee (Left Banke)
• The Rain, the Park, and Other Things (Cowsills)
• Precious and Few (Climax)
• Happy Together (Turtles)
• Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (Frankie Valli)
...and others.

That veers off the subject here, but the point is: That song alone is an immortal classic, even if Barry Mason didn't do anything else (though he clearly did, as Matthew's link attests).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

James   

Yeah, "Love Grows" when it's all said and done, for me, is the greatest pure pop song of them all.

RIP, and thank you, Señor Barry.

James

James   

About 1995 I ran an office in Chicago for the company I worked for. There were about 13 employees and all the desks were positioned in several rows of 3 out in the main room. My desk as the manager was in the back, center ..and my #2 man sat to my right. We worked hard and the atmosphere between all of us was more akin to the comradery of a football team than a finance office.

I was about 35 at the time, and my #2 man Rob was only about 24...he was a big Italian dude, had played football in college, he was a great guy, full of life.

Anyway we were working on a Saturday afternoon, just the two of us....when "Love Grows" came on the radio. Rob had never heard it, so I told him to listen close while I turned the volume up. He stopped working to listen to the song...throughout the song his head was bopping stronger and stronger as the song progressed ........until over the last 30 seconds he was fist pumping to the song with a smile bigger than a quarter moon. Pure joy he felt. It's maybe hard to explain, but it was one of the cooler memories of my life.

Music matters

• Thanks 1

Doreen   
On 4/19/2021 at 1:25 AM, LC said:

I love "Love Grows." It might have been the first non-Monkees song my older sister glommed onto way back in the day. And it's in that ilk of really inspired, perfect pop songs from the 1960s/early '70s. I include it on a playlist with: 

• Walk Away Renee (Left Banke)
• The Rain, the Park, and Other Things (Cowsills)
• Happy Together (Turtles)
• Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (Frankie Valli)
...and others.

have to admit most of these are my Favorites too

• Like 2

LC   

Actually, that list is from my post above—Doreen quoted it (but she added the line about how they're her favorites too). We're both in Massachusetts, so we think alike! 

That same playlist on my iPhone also has: 

• Just Can't Help Believing (BJ Thomas)
• Can't Help Falling in Love with You 
• This Guy's in Love with You (Herb Alpert)
• Do You Believe in Magic? (Lovin' Spoonful)

• Different Drum (Linda Ronstadt, complemented with a Michael Nesmith live version)
• Fly Me to the Moon (Sinatra)
• Penny Lane (Beatles)
• Those Were the Days (Mary Hopkin)
• Yesterday (Beatles)

It's a mostly uplifting (and mostly in the sugary-sweet-pop ilk) playlist, until "Yesterday." 

Doreen   
On 4/25/2021 at 1:15 AM, LC said:

I've seen that, and I love it. Cowsills are awesome. 

one of my favorite bands since the 60's-have you heard any of their CD Global?

According to ASCAP...the top 5 most played songs in history of American radio are...

1.) You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’...Righteous Brothers

2.) Never My Love ...Association

3.) Yesterday...The Beatles

4.) Stand By Me...Ben E. King

5.) Can’t Take My Eyes Off You...Frankie Valli

• Thanks 1

LC   
9 hours ago, Doreen said:

Actually... I don't have that CD, Doreen. But I'm curious, so I'll download it and give it a listen. I read about it just now. Got a few favorite tracks to recommend? 

On 4/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, Doreen said:

I have it and personally love it.

Doreen   
On 4/28/2021 at 8:51 PM, LC said:

Actually... I don't have that CD, Doreen. But I'm curious, so I'll download it and give it a listen. I read about it just now. Got a few favorite tracks to recommend? 

I like Is It Any Wonder  which was supposed to be released as a single, and Some good Years

I also have a CD Barry released before he died