Sunset Strip and Pop Art Live

blackhawkpat

Somewhere here there's a thread where a few people offered their opinions, and I kept flip-flopping. Both are listenable. One major difference—not music-related—is the far superior cover on Sunset Strip. The Pop Art cover seemed to befuddle people; the Sunset Strip featured a well-directed photograph that reflected what's "inside." (Bernie, who did that cover?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LC said:

Somewhere here there's a thread where a few people offered their opinions, and I kept flip-flopping. Both are listenable. One major difference—not music-related—is the far superior cover on Sunset Strip. The Pop Art cover seemed to befuddle people; the Sunset Strip featured a well-directed photograph that reflected what's "inside." (Bernie, who did that cover?)

I think Tommy Allen did an amazing job mixing Pop Art. I have talked to him several times about what he used and how he got the sound that he did, but man, I just love Sunset strip also. I feel they are the perfect complement to each other. My only regret is that Sunset strip never came out on vinyl or at least to my knowledge it has not.

Bernie did indeed design the cover art for Sunset Strip. Here's the short version by Bernie:

"Jim Bonfanti took that photo of Wally's Flying V after a rehearsal for me. I just instructed Jim to shoot 20 or so different angles. I matched one up precisely to the angle needed to have it rest against the wall in that Los Angles street scene—and it worked!"

Pretty clever, that ad man...

I love both Sunset Strip and Pop Art Live.

The production on Sunset Strip is a little more polished, which is what you would expect with Eric having a hand in the mixes. Mark Linett gave it a 'Beach Boys' sound. Pop Art's production is a little more raw. Tommy Allen gave us an edgier mix. You can't go wrong with either.

I played the heck out of Sunset Strip for years. Now I'm spinning Pop Art Live more often. Rarely a day goes by where I don't listen to Starting Over from PAL!

I like both. I ripped the individual songs from Pop Art and rearranged them to the same order that they were played that night. Since I was there that night, it makes that recording very special to me...a souvenir of that great evening. There's something neat about knowing that somewhere blended in with all the applause, are my own cheers.

Pop Art Real Order

I Wanna Be With You I Wanna Be With You
Play On I Can’t Explain
I Can't Explain Makin' It Easy
Nobody Knows Play On
Let's Pretend Baby's In Black
Don't Wanna Say Goodbye Nobody Knows
Party's Over Should I Wait
Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) If You Change Your Mind
Might As Well Come Around And See Me
It Seemed So Easy No Reply
Baby's In Black I Saw The Light
If You Change Your Mind Might As Well
Tonight It Seemed So Easy
I Can Remember Last Dance
Starting Over Let's Pretend
Last Dance Ticket To Ride
I Saw The Light When You Were With Me
No Reply It's Cold Outside
When You Were With Me I Can Remember
It's Cold Outside Starting Over
Should I Wait Don't Wanna Say Goodbye
Come Around And See Me Party's Over
Makin' It Easy Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)
Ticket To Ride Tonight
Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak
Ecstasy Ecstasy
I'm A Rocker I'm A Rocker
Go All The Way Go All The Way

• Thanks 1

Hey, thanks Craig. Lots of juggling! The last four "stuck," but looks like there was an attempt to get a certain "flow"—maybe with the four sides of the LP version in mind? Very interesting. I would have been of the mind to have the live album replicate the live show, but... that would be making it easy. 

On 3/11/2021 at 2:29 AM, Kirk said:

Bernie did indeed design the cover art for Sunset Strip. Here's the short version by Bernie:

Yep. Very proud to have designed that one. I also designed the back of the CD and inside cover of the booklet (with the Springsteen quote and the Lennon photo). The rest of the booklet was not mine and I thought it sort of sucked, but whatever. I did the important stuff!

:cool:

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2