Stephen King's a Fan

Raspbernie

I hadn't seen that video of the Record Plant performance in many years and watching it again only reminds me of why I was hooked on Raspberries since 1972. They performed GATW at a slower tempo than on the record, but those chord changes still send Bat-shivers down my spine. No wonder the song has appeared in film and TV so many times. My favorite is in the next to last episode of "Life On Mars", when they play the entire song during a big party scene. Can't seem to find a clip on youtube, but Michael Imperioli is in that episode.

This (see below quote where a man died in this accident) is who we are glorifying on ec.com, just because he likes Raspberries music and he´s been a successful author. Remember he wrote this, about me and most here on ec.com, after having time to think, cool down...not in the middle of a heated verbal debate where mistakes are more understandable. And this quote is not an odd exception, its hatred is what underlies most everything Stephen King says these days. But we revere him, cuz he likes a couple songs. And some of us like his politics. And to those who say he apologized, it was phony and forced via societal pressure.

He represents what´s wrong with, and what has injected in us a terminal disease,  re: us as a people, and our likelihood of survival.

"A trainload of Republicans on their way to a pricey retreat hit a garbage truck.
My friend Russ calls that karma."

Stephen King, 2018

It´s tough, I know, and I apologize for posting here instead of C World. It´s tough cuz half our society has gone crazy, and it´s thus tough to post about stuff without running into this insanity, and those promoting it.

Just yesterday it was reported that an American icon, Coca Cola Company, is forcing their employees to be brain washed to hate themselves, to feel guilty and to cut out their own backbones....because they are white. Coca-Cola!...the coca cola that goes with - Mom, apple pie and Coca Cola. I have an old Coca Cola refrigerator magnate on my fridge, from the 1920s, that I adore cuz its SO Americana.

But we walk on, revering this putrid side of things in our nation, like it´s just another political opinion, and not of a pernicious cult tantamount to Mao´s Red Guard in 1966, who were kids ginned up to terrorize the Chinese nation for some years, specifically they terrorized anyone who did not think correctly, ie: professors, professionals,  those with wealth, those who spoke English and were highly educated, and even their own communists who put people ahead of Mao think.

We continue on, not caring, prefering to have fun and not rock the boat, or make waves, while this cult works to destroy us. We are selfish. We´ve (our generation) lived mostly free and secure lives. And the consequences of this cult stuff will hit the hardest after we´re done.. We lived free, off the work of those who came before us, while we destroy the future of those who come later.

So we choose to enjoy, not make waves, while we ensure a destiny of hell for those younger than us, who will inherit the results of our fecklessness. When I say "our" I speak of those of us who know better. Those promulgating this cult stuff, are mostly too far gone to be concerned with. It´s those who know better, like us,  but do little, who are the wild card to our continuance as a free people.

James

James

There are a whole lot of people who I disagree with, regarding their political views... On this board.  I find myself agreeing with most of ur posts, as they are insightful, most of the time. However, not on this one.

In my opinion, this should have been put under Cartoon World.

I personally like everything Stephen King has written, and have for most of my adult life. I love everything Eric has composed or sung, since he began his career.  Knowing Eric, I can assure you, if he liked the author, he would be reading his books. Especially, if their 1st editions, bound in leather

On this board I have read several things that should have never been brought up, in my opinion. I never commented on them but this time, it just hit me the wrong way.

This is America, where, as  u are aware, we all have the right to free speech. Stephen King has that right, as much as you do.  Yes, his comments were certainly, words he should have kept to himself, or put in his next book.

If you don't like his books, don't read them.  Believe me, he will not feel the strain in his bank account.

If I commented on everyone who I wasn't in agreement with here,

I would be kick out long ago.

I'm here because, of Eric.  That the only reason.

I use to tell my twins when they got out of hand..."lets all play nice"

None of us here, have to like each others thoughts or opinions.

But we do have to respect each other on this board, and should. I love this site, and have made a very, good friend, having meet her here.  She is a remarkable woman.

We all are.

My 2 cents, or maybe 3 cents. Like me or not, I'm here to stay

• Thanks 1

Years ago, my mother told me of how her parents spoke fluent Italian, as their parents, immigrants, spoke it freely in their home. My mother and her siblings were not allowed to even try to speak Italian because 1) it would stall assimilation; and 2) my grandparents could resort to it when they wanted to speak privately in front of their kids. 😀. Many have the attitude now that assimilation means adapting to an exploitive and evil political/economic system. It’s has become a bad word to many.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, Batman said:

I hadn't seen that video of the Record Plant performance in many years and watching it again only reminds me of why I was hooked on Raspberries since 1972. They performed GATW at a slower tempo than on the record, but those chord changes still send Bat-shivers down my spine. No wonder the song has appeared in film and TV so many times. My favorite is in the next to last episode of "Life On Mars", when they play the entire song during a big party scene. Can't seem to find a clip on youtube, but Michael Imperioli is in that episode.

After several hours of searching the internet, the Bat-Computer found the scene I referred to in the above Bat-Post. The show was called "Life On Mars" and ran only one season on ABC in 2008. There were a total of 17 episodes. In the next to last episode, "Everyone Knows its Windy", Season 1, Episode 16, there is a party scene at a club with people celebrating a toy company product release. If you click on the link and jump to 27:30, you will be treated to a very special surprise. The scene ends at 30:40. Michael Imperioli, who played Christopher Moltisanti in "The Sopranos", is a member of the cast. This show ran 2 years after The Sopranos ended its run on HBO. Enjoy!

Life on Mars Season 1 episode 16 - Bing video

• Thanks 1

In a Playboy interview in 1980, when discussing the song "Getting Better," Lennon admitted to abusing his ex-wife Cynthia Lennon, seemingly without much thought. "(The song) is a diary form of writing. All that 'I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved' was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically… any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn’t express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women…”

Still like the John Lennon's music?

My point is that you can appreciate books, music and art without needing to stand 100% behind the politics, actions or thoughts of the person whose work you admire.

That's all.

I thought it was cool that Stephen King liked Raspberries. If anything, his tweet brought the band to thousands of people who may not have known about the band or forgot just how good they were.

'Nuff said.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Your point is well taken, and I agree, but my angle today is different because it comes from a response to the reality on our streets.

My posts weren't meant for any one person, they were meant for us all, including me, because I believe we as a people have our heads in the sand, and our (those of us who know better) fecklessness is feeding the monster.

I will stop now.

James