ABBA

James

Some time back I bought a box set of all their albums as it was a great deal pricewise. Since the message board closed I´ve listened to their catalog all the way thru. There wasn´t a bad song in the catalog, zero filler....just wall to wall good to great music.

The 2 dudes wrote virtually all the music, with Bennie Anderson, from what I can tell, being the thrust behind the melodies and Bjorn writing the lyrics and also involved in writing the music.

I´d say it almost has to be the case that Bennie Anderson is the most underrated music talent of the era. Almost nobody even knows his name, while at the same time he wrote possibly the greatest pure pop music that ever hit the record stores. Would love to hear others who know more than me opine on this.

James

Kind of a paradox, that a band that is so intensely produced in the studio, still translates phenomenally live, with some of their songs actually better live than in the studio. "Summer Night City" comes immediately to mind. And of course Agnetha's posterior area also comes to mind. : )

Back in the day I had no interest to buy their records or see them live, that's turned around 180 degrees today. You were fortunate Bernie, seeing them live in the USA was a rare treat.

James

Another band that was uncool to admit that you liked when I was young, but I really liked their hits. Our local public library actually had a few vinyl albums that you could take out, and one was ABBA's first. I signed it out and also thought that the whole album was good. Up until about 15 years ago, I didn't own any of their studio albums, but I decided to revisit them and became enamored with their music all over again. Great, great band! And like James said, you'll be very hard pressed to find a bad song in their entire catalog.