Unreleased Pre-Raspberries Solo Single (Epic 10669, 1970)

kyletx500

I just found these two tracks today; it appears as if they were slated to be released as both sides of a single for Epic Records, even being given a catalog number (10669) before ultimately getting shelved. It's unfortunate that these never got an official release because they're two wonderful songs: both are quite well written, tastefully arranged, and feature the quality vocal performances typical of most of Mr. Carmen's material. Most importantly to me though, they're unique in that they showcase a style that he never really explored either with the Raspberries or his solo work. "It Won't Be The Same" in particular reminds me of a bombastic Phil Spector-type production in all the best possible ways, and "I'll Hold Out My Hand" is yet another wonderful Carmen ballad that's distinct in its arrangement and sonics to anything else he's done. The YouTube tracks linked below are serviceable in terms of sound quality for unreleased work, but I'd really love to one-day hear these in their full glory. I wonder if Eric even has any versions of these laying around... Anyways, enough of my ramblings, enjoy!

"It Won't Be The Same":

"I'll Hold Out My Hand":

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would have liked to hear Mr. Carmen do these two songs in the style we have come to know him for. The difference in style is quite evident, I almost didn't recognize his voice. And while these two selections are nice to hear, there is some little thing lacking comparatively with his other body of solo work, I am not certain how to explain it other than there is a slight something or other off between all the balances that go into recording a track of music and vocals.  :huh:

AnneNR

5 hours ago, AnneNR said:

I would have liked to hear Mr. Carmen do these two songs in the style we have come to know him for. The difference in style is quite evident, I almost didn't recognize his voice. And while these two selections are nice to hear, there is some little thing lacking comparatively with his other body of solo work, I am not certain how to explain it other than there is a slight something or other off between all the balances that go into recording a track of music and vocals.  :huh:

AnneNR

Eric has said that he had not yet found his 'singing voice' when these were recorded. That is what you are picking up on, AnneNR. Good observation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Eric has said that he had not yet found his 'singing voice' when these were recorded. That is what you are picking up on, AnneNR. Good observation!

Yes she is right. The songs were weak, The performance was weak. But   Eric developed his craft in his band and as a solo artist to be one of the best ever.

No . . . . . I don't think 'weak" is the right word . . . . . Mr. Carmen can certainly project his vocals, it's just not polished, finessed, or balanced overall when you hear the songs through.

Funny thing . . . in the first 31 seconds at the start of "I'll Hold Out My Hand" I think I hear a singing style something akin to Anthony Newley,  right when Mr. Carmen is belting out  " . . . but I am juuust ah maaaan . . . "  ^_^

AnneNR

. . . . does anyone else hear the similarity ??

• Like 1

Thanks for getting these two songs re-posted Kyle.

EC was quite a young artist when these songs were recorded, and that is part of their charm.

With the gift of hindsight, we know how he will develop into a terrific artist.

I have a soft spot for I'll Hold Out My Hand.  

The one EC trademark that shines brilliantly in IHOMH is EC's emotional sincerity.  Although the vocal style is developing, he nails the lover's angst.

And dig that groovy acrylic Dan Armstrong!

It weighs a ton!!!

• Like 2

I personally thought Eric sounded decently at home with the style on those two singles. It's atypical of most of his other work, but I see that as a positive actually. Even within his released efforts, he ran quite the gamut of genres and influences. Heck, just compare the differences between a song like "My Girl" to "Tonight You're Mine;" a pretty stark contrast if you ask me.

I will say a genre I never expected him to explore was country/western. Turns out, he did a demo of one and better yet, it's on YouTube! At first I didn't think it was even him singing, as he nails the slight twang and low vocal range in the verses; the choruses sound much more like the vocal performance style I've come to expect from him. The writing does seem a little weak when compared to his typical standard of quality, but regardless, it's been stuck in my head since first hearing it the other night:

"High Cost of Loving (Demo)":

• Like 1

That's what happens when you keep company with a Mandrell sister, EC went country!

Now, if we could only find a video of that lost EC Hee Haw cornfield appearance.

I grew to appreciate country music after living in Nashville for a few years.  The country music folks are sweet and very down-to-earth. 

Crystal Gayle instructed me and a friend on how to choose the best produce at the Belle Meade Kroger. 

I guess we looked like the clueless college co-eds that we were, and she took pity on us.

🌽

• Like 2

Here's a little bit from Eric on finding his voice:

Eric, your classical music training gets mentioned often, yet I don't remember reading anything about your vocal training. Did you ever have a voice coach? Or, is the ease with which you sing just natural like Streisands? Kirk.

Posts: 1529 | From: Camarillo, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | postedFebruary 19, 2007 01:59 AM02-19-2007 01:59 AM                   

No voice lessons. I just listened to Marriott, McCartney and Daltrey and did my level best to sound like them. Eventually, I found my own voice.

More:

Ugh. Just awful. Oh well, I was still trying to find my own voice (It wasn't THIS one). That's Sandy (Lover's Concerto) Linzer in the photo. My very first "producer." "I'll Hold Out My Hand" was produced by Barry Kornfeld. It was supposed to be the "B" side of "Light The Way," I think. Next year it will be forty years since that track was cut! ec

• Like 3