Misc, Quiz from James

James

Ok, answer 4 of the following for the win:

1. In roughly what period in history was Baroque culture, art etc. in vogue?

2. Romanticism and Impressionism were 2 different art styles/movements that were strong in the 19th century. Which came first?...and name one artist associated with one of these movements.

3. I will list 5 classical music artists. List these  5  greats in order of their chronological appearance on the world stage.

Stravinsky
      Bach
      Chopin
      Beethoven
      Mozart

4. The airplane was invented by the USA´s Wright Brothers. Though it would become dominant in the aviation industry, the USA was not the first nation to follow up on the Wright Bros. work and take off with the development / production of planes in general. What nation was?

5. John D. Rockefeller was very fortunate in that prior to cars and the internal combustion engine taking off in the early 20th century, his company gained all its revenues from selling a certain product for a certain customer use, and when this product was eclipsed/made obsolete by a new technology , Rockefeller  in effect "won the lottery" as cars came into our lives and he was thus able to re-direct his sales to the auto industry. Name this product and its end use.

I´m not really good. It´s true, these questions on my threads come out of my head, I don´t look these questions up, but my knowledge base is narrow, really....I know some stuff on the subjects I´m interested in, but in some areas I´m horribly unknowledgable. Half the stuff people talk about online, or sometimes in person, I have no clue what they´re even saying. So don´t think I´d do good on a game show.

• 2 weeks later...

Why isn't anyone playing this quiz?

I thought I would give others a shot before I answered the art history and orchestral music questions.

I'll give you guys a bit more time for questions 1-3.

4.  My guess would be either France or Germany since they had the planes in WWI.

5.  Mr. Rockefeller was an oil refiner... Standard Oil ring any bells, people?

The family had a number of properties, but the loveliest, IMHO, is Kykuit in Tarrytown, NY.

Screenshot_20200417-094245.png

2.  Romantic Period preceded Impressionism.

The Romantic period gave much freedom to the artist to pursue his specific "romance".

One of my personal favorites is Eugène Delacroix whose "romance" was with the individual.

Here is his masterpiece, Liberty Leading the People.

France-003348_-_Liberty_Leading_the_People_16238458795.jpg

• Like 1

No takers, even the musical question, guys?

Ok.

For Darlene, Susie and the honor of the string section, here goes...

Some of these composers are close, but I believe the correct order from oldest to youngest would be:

Bach

Mozart

Beethoven

Chopin

Stravinsky

🤞🎻🎶🎶🎶

Hmmmmmm....don´t tell Lew, but we made the moat crocodile friendly, so now the crocs are having a party down there, licking their chops for a certain imminent arrival. Worse (for Lew)..
..we put in a separate section of the moat Bette Midler, the Joy lady from the view and Rosy O´Donnell. Pretty rough for Lew. Starting to think I may have a little sadism in me. Hmmm...

: )

• Haha 2

Ok, paper grade:

1. Correct (same exact years I always consider the Baroque period)
2. Correct
3. Answer: France.....you will get full credit for your answer
5. The actual answer is kerosene.....Rockefeller´s companies sold kerosene early on for lighting, then when gasoline came into vogue (advent of the internal combustion engine) and electricity supplanted kerosene lamps....Rockefeller switched up and instead of going bankrupt, his company took off for the stars via petroleum sales.

Very good job Susie. I was thinking, as you, our other friends would have taken a stab cuz I´m sure they know at least some of this stuff.

Thanks for playing.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, James said:

Ooops, I screwed up. Yes, you got the 5 in perfect order. Sorry about that Susie.

No problem, James.

I understand that you are preparing for an invasion/siege.

I appreciate you taking the time.

And please, please, please be sure to find a safe and secure spot for my buddy, Cato!

🐾