Eric Carmen vs Burton Cummings

Lew Bundles

I'm not sure how I missed this thread the original time around. I'm a very big Guess Who/Burton fan. Had tickets to see them in NY in 2001, but it got canceled due to 9/11. Caught them the next year in Syracuse, NY. I must say that I didn't have high expectations going into the show having not heard Burton in a while, but he actually blew me away. Thought the show was terrific. I have been lucky to see 3 of my favorite artists past their prime (Raspberries, The Guess Who, ELO) and all three were GREAT! 

• Like 1

A lot of these bands actually sound better in their "mature" years than they did in their supposed prime. RUSH is one ...they got better with time, and the better technology also helped a lot. Probably the Raspberries in 2005 sounded as good, or better, than back in the day, don´t know for sure about that. I think the Eagles were a band that had a better live sound in the 2000s than in the 70s.  Etc.

James

James, Raspberries sounded better on the reunion tour. I don't think they were necessarily more skilled with age, but the addition of the Overdubs, as well as improved equipment made everything sound better that it did live 40 years earlier. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't call myself a huge Burton Cummings fan or anything, but I really do like a lot of the Guess Who's greatest hits ("American Woman," "These Eyes," "Laughing," etc...) and his first solo single "Stand Tall" is an absolute classic. I've been meaning to do some exploring of his discography since I've liked pretty much everything I've heard so far.

• Thanks 1