Three Cheers For Santa Bernie!!!

John Shaft

One of the many, many things I look forward to every Christmas Eve/Christmas Day is the goodies Mister S. Bernie, his bad-a$$ self, leaves for all of his fellow EC devotees and this year is certainly no exception!!

"Feels Like Forever" rules. Period. I never heard this gem until yesterday and it was a highlight of my day.

Raising a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale in your honour, good sir!

Cheers!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LC,

"Feels Like Forever" was from the sessions Clive insisted Eric do as a follow-up to the smash success of "Hungry Eyes." Because "Hungry Eyes" was written by Franke Previte, Clive had Eric only sing songs written by other songwriters. Those sessions produced the single, "My Heart Stops," also written by Diane Warren. The other songs from those sessions were ever released.

Weird thing is, Eric's "Make Me Lose Control"—which he did write—was an even bigger hit than "Hungry Eyes." So, why the lack of confidence, Clive?

You can tell Eric's not giving it his all on "Feels Like Forever," and I think you can really hear that his heart wasn't in it.

Bernie

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

“He returned to London and joined Eric Carmen in the studio to record the backing vocals for "Feels Like Forever", a song written by Adams for Eric's then-upcoming LP.”

Excerpt taken from Bryan Adams Wikipedia page...

Bernie...any chance of putting this one up again...?

And whatever happened to “Eric’s then up-coming LP?

Besides “My Heart Stops” and “Feels Like Forever” are there any other non-penned EC songs that were planned for this lp?...

• Like 1

I hope this piece of junk wasn’t under consideration for the new lp...

Eric Carmen–Reason To Try

Arranged By – Michael Lloyd

Backing Vocals – Jim Haas, Kipp Lennon, Mark Hudson, Oren Waters

Bass – Dennis Belfield

Drums – Matt Sorum

Engineer – Carmine Rubino, Dan Nebenzal

Engineer [Assistant] – Johnny Valentino*

Executive-Producer – Jimmy Ienner

Guitar – Michael Thompson

Mixed By – Carmine Rubino, Dan Nebenzal, Jimmy Ienner, Michael Lloyd

Percussion – Michael Fisher

Producer – Eric Carmen, Michael Lloyd

Saxophone – David Boruff

Synthesizer – John D'Andrea, Michael Lloyd

Vocals – Eric Carmen

Written-By – Jon Lind, Phil Galdston

Arranged By – Michael Lloyd

Backing Vocals – Jim Haas, Kipp Lennon, Mark Hudson, Oren Waters

Bass – Dennis Belfield

Drums – Matt Sorum

Engineer – Carmine Rubino, Dan Nebenzal

Engineer [Assistant] – Johnny Valentino*

Executive-Producer – Jimmy Ienner

Guitar – Michael Thompson

Mixed By – Carmine Rubino, Dan Nebenzal, Jimmy Ienner, Michael Lloyd

Percussion – Michael Fisher

Producer – Eric Carmen, Michael Lloyd

Saxophone – David Boruff

Synthesizer – John D'Andrea, Michael Lloyd

Vocals – Eric Carmen

Written-By – Jon Lind, Phil Galdston

3:38

P.S.-Never realized that Mark Hudson was in on this one...

A little digging by me and I see a back story and a song for that forth coming lp...

Raspbernie - Posted July 11, 2011

The year was 1988. Eric Carmen had just staged a major comeback with "Hungry Eyes," a song written by John DeNicola and Franke Previte for the feature film Dirty Dancing. It hit #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. With that success, Eric turned to longtime songwriting partner Dean Pitchford. The song they wrote together was "Make Me Lose Control." It rocketed up the charts and managed to top "Hungry Eyes," scoring an impressive #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song spent 13 weeks in the Top 40 along with three weeks at #1 on the adult contemporary chart.

The time was ripe for another smash hit. Arista honcho Clive Davis had a feeling Eric was onto something with "Hungry Eyes." He suggested Eric sing some songs by other songwriters instead of limiting himself to his own. That logic sounds faulty considering Eric's own-penned song charted higher, but back to the story.

“I met Diane Warren at a party sometime in the late ‘80s and we really hit it off," explains Eric. “We found we had a lot in common and I really liked her quirky personality. She and I would talk on the phone and she’d play me songs she was working on, and ask me if I thought they ‘sucked.’ Most of them were very, very good."

“There was one song of Diane’s that I liked called ‘Boardwalk Baby.’ Diane told me she had been inspired to write it after hearing ‘Make Me Lose Control.’ We booked my buddy Steve Lukather to play guitar, and Mark Williams—son of John Williams, the great film composer—to play drums, and Diane and I sang the vocals. Diane, by the way, is a great singer! She’s got a really cool voice, kinda raspy but very emotional. She reminds me a little of me. I used to tell her she should do a record of her own stuff. Her reply: ‘I wouldn’t waste a good song on me.’ She could actually sing a lot of her songs better than the people who recorded them."

So what happened, you might ask? According to Eric, “Clive didn’t like it. We were shocked. And bummed out."

Well, now...for the first time ever, EricCarmen.com proudly presents Eric's long lost (but now found) follow-up to "Make Me Lose Control." Just in time for summer, hold onto your hats (and beach blankets).

Bernie

PS: A special "shout out" to Tommy Allen for re-mastering this gem after I blew the dust off the 20-year-old tape!

• Thanks 1