Top 10 Elton John Songs

James

• 2 months later...

The Gilbert O'Sullivan thread James started led me to a YouTube duet (from 1973) of "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert and Elton. That vid led me to another I'd never seen—Elton and band doing "Step Into Christmas." I don't love this song, but it's not bad—sort of a B-/C+ holiday tune for me. However, the lip-synced video is cool because it's got Elton's band appearing with him—minus Ray Cooper, who's replaced for the performance by Bernie Taupin. The link to that video is below. 

The bigger thing is... think about the context. The Gilbert O'Sullivan TV show that featured both "Alone Again" and "Step Into Christmas" was aired in December 1973. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Elton was at the absolute top of his game at that juncture.

The year 1973 saw him release both Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player AND Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. And the month after the video, in January 1974, he and his band recorded Caribou in nine days. Two Januarys earlier, in 1972, he recorded Honky Chateau.

So think about that: In the space of two calendar years, Elton recorded Honky Chateau... Don't Shoot Me... Goodbye Yellow Brick Road... and Caribou. Not bad, although if you go to the Wikipedia page on Caribou, you'll see that that album wasn't well-loved by critics at the time—or by producer Gus Dudgeon, who trashed the songs, lyrics, playing, and even liner notes. But I like it. 

Anyway, I thought it was worth pointing out that the Elton you see in this video was an unstoppable music force at that moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.I guess that's why they call it the blues 2.I'm still standing 3.Crocodile rock 4.Yellow Brick road 5.Don't go breaking my heart 6.Bennie and the jets 7.Sad songs 8.Rocket man 9. Island girls 10. Philadelphia freedom 

• Like 2

Yeah LC, he put out 11 (12 if you count Friends which I'm not familiar with)...stellar albums between 1969 and 1976, on which he wrote virtually all the music. In the running for greatest music output/segment of time ...ever. During that time he also wrote and recorded non album singles that were massive hits in P Freedom and Don't Go Breaking My Heart. And for my tastes, he did the best versions of Pinball W and Lucy in the sky.. of them all...during those 7 years.

Wow!!...to the 3rd power.

• Like 1