Lindsay Buckingham...

James

Love Lindsey Buckingham. Pure genius. I actually have a thread I've been trying to start on Fleetwood Mac—I'll  try to get to it this week. For now, let's taik Lindsey! He put out a great solo-career compilation. There's a three-disc version that I bought, plus a single-disc highlights version. So many good things, from "Trouble" to "Holiday Road" to some live solo performances of Fleetwood Mac things..

My favorite solo Lindsey album might be "Go Insane," because it's so far out on the edge. The title song is as it sounds (I wonder if it was Stevie who sent him to that state of insanity!):: 

Equally "deranged" sounding (in a good way) are "I Want You" and "Slow Dancing" and "I Must Go"—all of them kind of frantic and out of control. But my favorites are "D.W. Suite," written for Dennis Wilson, and "Bang the Drum." Listen if you dare! And play it loud.... 

I also loved Lindey's Trouble album. I would be remiss if I didn't note the excellent rocker Lindsey wrote for my old friend John Stewart. It's called "Johnny Stew," and it probably would have been right at home on the Go Insane album. 

I always thought 'Out of the Cradle' was his best album. Still sounds amazing. Was ignored by the critics when it came out. Without his drive to get them to make new music, FM are just another lame nostalgia cash in. I have to say that Neil Finn does nothing for me and I'm actually from the same country as he is...Hopefully Lindsay didn't suffer any damage to his vocals from the operation, which is what they were worried about I think...

I am a big fan of Lindsey but am remiss in that I haven’t listened to any of his solo material, only the FM albums I own. 

I think he’s so great because everything he does is in service to making the song better. It’s not ostentatious or self-aggrandizing.

”You Make Loving Fun” is a good example. All those little fills are ingenious and really make the song better.

• Like 2