Raspberries Re-releases - Japan 2016

Raspbernie

berries-lps.thumb.jpg.881f850a962130cdf4

Coming on the heels of the re-release of Eric's Geffen solo album are all FOUR Raspberries albums. On February 24, 2016, Universal Music will be releasing a limited set of mini-LP jacket paper sleeve CDs in Japan. Each album will feature bonus tracks:

RASPBERRIES
Don't Want To Say Goodbye (Single Version)
I Saw The Light(DEMO)
Please Let Me Come Back Home (DEMO)
Oh Tonight (DEMO)
Come Around And See Me (DEMO)

FRESH
Let's Pretend (Single Version)

SIDE 3
Tonight (Single Version)
I'm A Rocker (Single Version)

STARTING OVER
Starting Over (2007 Digital Remaster)
Overnight Sensation (Single Version)

All four can be pre-ordered by clicking on the links above.

Bernie

• Like 10

Happy Holidays to everyone!  I just went online and purchased the 5 re-releases for about $125 with shipping.  They will be released on February 24th and it will probably take a few weeks for them to get here.  If anyone is interested in purchasing these gems, you need to order them now!  These are one-time limited releases and they are going fast.  The CDJapan website (CDJapn.com) will tell you how many copies are still available when you browse the album descriptions.  There were less than 10 copies available for several of the albums:  Raspberries (17), Fresh (13), Side 3 (17), Starting Over (6), and EC-Geffen (2)!  

I have ordered from CDJapan many times and have never had a problem with my orders or payment security.  They also typically never re-release Limited Releases once the inventory is sold out.  Finally getting an updated Geffen solo album was huge for me personally as this CD has always been an expensive and/or scarce find.  So you need to act quickly if you're interested in purchasing the updates with bonus tracks!

The only album that's missing from these updates is Capital's version of the "Best of the Raspberries Featuring Eric Carmen" from long ago.  I did manage to find a copy of the CD in Japan many years ago.  Maybe they'll re-release that album later in the year with bonus tracks.  I have always loved the cover artwork for that album version.

Merry Christmas to everyone!    

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just ordered the first album from amazon. No mention of it being Japanese but is listed as an import and has the same song list. Also an Eric Carmen Geffen album reissue seems to be available from amazon for pre-order, shipping April 22. It's also in the "Collector's Choice" catalogue where I first saw it and "preordered" it (they said it was on backorder). 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2016, 4:38:52, Linda Tuan said:

I just ordered the first album from amazon. No mention of it being Japanese but is listed as an import and has the same song list. Also an Eric Carmen Geffen album reissue seems to be available from amazon for pre-order, shipping April 22. It's also in the "Collector's Choice" catalogue where I first saw it and "preordered" it (they said it was on backorder). 

Thanks Linda. I pre-ordered 2 of the Geffen reissues. I only wish I saw the pre-order on Amazon sooner. I just bought the Japan Geffen reissue CD from eBay a few weeks ago and paid twice the price. Oh well. :)

The Geffen reissues sure have brought down the price of the original Geffen CD's on eBay. Last year they were going for around $100 or more. Now some are selling in the $30 range.

If anyone is interested, Amazon is selling all 4 Raspberries CD's in a boxed set for $24.99. Pretty good reviews so far. Remastered on 11/27/15 by Andy Pearce? One reviewer even said they are comparable to the recent Japan remasters. No bonus tracks however.

On 4/19/2016, 9:50:27, donzi said:

If anyone is interested, Amazon is selling all 4 Raspberries CD's in a boxed set for $24.99. Pretty good reviews so far. Remastered on 11/27/15 by Andy Pearce? One reviewer even said they are comparable to the recent Japan remasters. No bonus tracks however.

I received the box set yesterday. The CD's sound great. I don't have the latest Japan releases so I can't compare them to this set. If you need all 4 Raspberries CD's, want to save a bunch of money, and don't mind the missing bonus tracks, get this boxed set instead of the Japan releases.

Just bought "Side 3" & "Starting Over" (both CD's for $ 106.00) at Records & Tapes Galore in Saginaw, MI.  The "Side 3" CD has the performance pictures like it was on the record sleeve & "Starting Over" has the original poster!!  It also has the same orange "Capitol" label too!!  Next Monday, I will be picking up the other 2 Raspberries CD's.   Matt  

• Like 1

I received the 2016 Geffen CD today from Amazon. It has 2 bonus tracks of I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips. The first one is the Single Remix and is 3:11 in length. The second one is the 12" Version and is 6:04 in length. Amazon only lists this CD as having one bonus track. A bonus on the bonus! :P

• Like 1

Just heard the "Starting Over" Japan CD. At the end of "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)", the song "Go All The Way" with Eric sayin' "Mama yeah, woo" was cut off with 8 seconds of silence.:):o In the lyric booklet, the song "I Don't Know What I Want", the lyric said "Some one give me a broom" instead of "Somebody give me a clue".:o  Matt  

On the self-titled 1972 Japan CD, in the CD booklet, the song "Rock & Roll Mama", David Smalley is singin' "Come on, sugar shake those HIPS"  NOT "shake those things":o:huh: Also, it has the orange label NOT the "target" label. On the "Fresh" Japan CD, the song "Every Way I Can" lyric, I think Dave & the group is singin' "I said come on YEAH" instead of "I said come on girl". In the song "I Reach For The Light", Eric is singin' "I just can't stand it" NOT "I just can't understand it".   That is all that I can think of.   Matt 

The Japanese are notorious for misinterpreting lyrics, sometimes with pretty funny consequences. The all-time best is from the first set of Japanese Raspberries CD liner notes, which had this lyric for "Ecstasy" — ""You've got my backbone sticking in my forearm. Breaking in two!"

:o

Bernie

• Like 1