Cory Wells Three Dog Night

ter2

I thought I was going crazy here - I was sure my husband and I had seen Three Dog Night at a soccer game in MN. We were poor students and I believe we got free tickets...

I remember pretty much thinking "what the heck, let's go!" and ending up really enjoying the concert.  We just didn't realize how many songs we knew and they were great vocals.  I tried to find something on the internet, but kept looking at MN Kicks (our first soccer team) when it was actually the MN Strikers in the mid 80s - which made much more sense! (Drag getting old sometimes!)

• Like 3

From one of the greatest Rock 'n' Roll bands in the late 60s to about the mid seventies ....  this was part of the fabric of memories in music I grew up with.  Mr. Cory Wells had a lot of R&B influences in his life from the time he was little growing up in a rough neighborhood in New York state.  His influence shows itself especially in his rendition of the great Otis Redding classic, "Try A Little Tenderness" ---

I will sorely miss him.  Up until the very end of his life, this man had the chops to still sing an audience outta their seats!  ::thanx::   Rest in peace to this marvelous musician and showman.

AnneNR :rolleyes:

• Like 5

In reading about Cory's life, I am so impressed with what he accomplished!  A love for his family kept him from the drugs/alcohol scene of that time - instead he would get up early and go fishing!  He even wrote articles for outdoor magazines.  Prior to Three Dog Night, he served our country in the Air Force.  He had a rough childhood, an abusive step - father, yet stayed married to his wife, raised his daughters, and sang rock and roll until this last illness. Well done Cory Wells! (Sadly was due to play in Minnesota!)

I like this song - maybe seems appropriate to his life.

• Like 2

"Out In The Country" is my FAVORITE  Three Dog Night song, written by Paul Williams --- not the only song by him that Three Dog Night recorded.  I love everything about the song, I personally identify with it.  Thanks for posting it, ter2.  And yes, I read up early last year on Cory Wells and his life.  Considering his life circumstances, he could have gone in the opposite direction as far as life choices as so many others in similar environmental situations have done.  I am also very impressed that he was able to be a great role model in his chosen profession as well as his personal life.  In the entertainment business, this is nothing short of a miracle for back in the day.  :)

Great person, great artist, greatly missed already.  Wish I could've seen him in concert at any age, his voice remained strong and quite delicious to listen to!

AnneNR

• Like 2

Sometimes I think I am looking at this computer way too much, but I really do enjoy finding " old gems " on youtube, as well as various information about music.  I even happened upon Cory Wells facebook page.....his family is going to turn his site into a "forum" for people to share stories, etc. Very neat idea.  His own posts though are what really struck me - not that their were a lot, but what was there was so normal, so grandfatherly! He had some great videos of his grandson showing his own musical talent,  of which, Grandpa Cory was obviously proud.  Also indirectly found out that Danny Hutton has a son who is a drummer for the band HAIM which is a current girl group (for the most part!) who has opened for Taylor Swift, as well as had songs on current movie soundtracks (Hunger Games, PaperTowns, etc.).  Love that musical heredity - wish I had some!

Matt had some connections to some youtube vids where Three Dog Night were on some TV specials...I looked at those, and of course, looked at more....even though I was going to end my posts with "Out In The Country" (I totally agree with your post Anne!), I'm adding one more "Eli's Coming" which I've been enjoying listening to as well!  This video is funny and showcases the times, clothing, a seance, Lily Tomlin, etc.!  Hope you enjoy, too.  (If you do....there is another Eli's Coming from 2008 including orchestra which is almost like "church" if you get my drift! Cory has some moves at the end, sounds great, and also some short commentary. Oh heck, I will post that, too!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Totally enjoyed the videos posted by AnneNR and ter2!

Cory Wells is to Buffalo, New York as Eric Carmen is to Cleveland. It is interesting that they both moved from California, back near their home towns.

I totally agree with you AnneNR, "Out in the Country" is my favorite Three Dog Night song as well. When I hear this song, I'm mentally in one of two places,

a school dance or camping with friends at Alleghany State Park on the Pennsylvania border.

Thanks for the transport back in time!

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Sousa!  I love the song!

Obviously from all of my posts here, I was, and still am, sad about his death.  I think it just really touched me how beautiful his voice is, his strength of family - and convictions to stay away from the "wild side", and that whole fishing/ love of nature aspect.....and humble beginnings!! That cancer stuff is just not fair!!

Terri

• Like 1