FAVE FEMALE ROCKERS

Mary Ellen

Recently I read 2 interesting books: 

Girl In A Band by Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

Kicking and Dreaming by Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart)

I'd recommend both books if you're into that kind of thing, but if you're here, you may be...?

These 3 women broke into R&R at a time when few women were in the ranks of the famous rocker.  The stories give insight into their personal roots, quirks, strengths, fears, disappointments and loves.  No matter what you may think of their musical styles, these women were ground breakers and interesting, creative women.  

Next, I'm on to read about Stevie Nicks and I can't wait to know more about my fave lady rocker.

Anybody else read something to recommend or have thoughts to share on this topic?

• Like 3

Susie, I love Patti as an artistic talent with one of the most interesting personal histories I've read in "Just Kids" (speaking of books by female rockers....). Patti's book of poems "Auguries of Innocense" is also excellent.  I owe my knowledge of PS's poetry to our own birdy ?.  I hear "Woolgathering" is also a worthy read.

Bernie, I have to agree with you, Patti's music was never on a list of my favorites, though she definitely left her mark on R&R.  

• Like 2

Love Woolgathering and gifted it to a dear friend for Christmas last year.

Patti is a gifted artist, though definitely NOT mainstream.  Her music isn't to everyone's taste.  That being said, I greatly enjoy her eclectic works in all genres.

:)

• Like 2

Grace Slick has one of the most unique voices ever. Love her!

And while she's not necessarily rock, I've been on a Bette Midler kick lately. That woman could sing the phone book and make me happy. Such a smooth, pleasing voice that can belt 'em out with the best of them.

Cheryl

• Like 2

I believe females should never have received the vote, let alone be able to go out onstage, in public, and prance around like crazy hussies.

Please carry-on.

:-)

​Not onstage, James, but behind harem doors is ok, if not expected?

You are too funny!

:)

• Like 2