McCartney on SNL 40th

Raspbernie

I have mentioned to friends several times over the past few years that Sir Paul's voice can no longer do his music justice. The last time I heard him sing live, about a year ago, it was pitiful. I am a huge Beatles/McCartney fan, so saying this brings me no pleasure. It is simply an observation, and not meant as an insult. Thankfully, we have all of the Beatles/ McCartney/ Wings music on our records/tapes/CD's/DVD's/ and iPods/MP3/streaming devices, where we can always hear the great music as we remember it.

• Like 2

I wonder if someone close to Mr. McCartney will let him know how much his voice has changed? 

Jay Black of Jay and The Americans was on a PBS music program not too long ago and said how he was determined to hit high notes in "Cara Mia", and is amazed that he has been able to continue into his sixties and still be able to sing the songs.

Perhaps if Mr. McCartney saw a vocal coach, and someone in the medical profession to check his throat for any signs of something impeding his ability to sing like he has in the past --- maybe he could learn to recondition his vocal chords and all the surrounding muscles and systems to get him back into shape?  I'm thinking if it is possible for others to continue like Jay Black has and can sing like he did from the beginning, then there must be hope for Mr. McCartney as well.  (???)  :pray:

There have been many singers who have found they need medical help , so I hope Mr. McCartney checks his pipes out for possible problems.

AnneNR

• Like 3

I finally saw the show today as the oldest girl and I had it taped to the DVR Sunday night.  I was a bit distressed at hearing Mr. McCartney sing, as I had speculated in my post yesterday, I really think this is not normal for him.  I really hope he gets his throat checked, or takes time to rest it.  He was definitely straining to sing throughout the performance.

Maybe he didn't want to disappoint anyone by bowing out if there was a problem.  That would be just like him to do that.  I hope someone tells him to take time off to take care of himself properly --- us fans will wait, we want him at his best when he performs. :)

AnneNR

• Like 2

I enjoyed singing "Can't Buy Me Love" with some friends at a party. 

Probably the concert,, the night before.

But, he needs to take care of his voice.

Warm teas, like mint, or chamomille.

Aloe vera drink, to rehydrate the vocal chords.

Coconut drink, hydrates better than water,

to bring his energy up.

Steam, like a portable steam machine.

• Like 1

After reading the above comments, I was expecting a total train wreck.  It wasn't quite that bad...a derailment, maybe.  Paul still had pretty good range- as long as he wasn't singing.  He could scream pretty well.  He could "ooh" pretty well.  He just couldn't sing very well.  I would liken it to the time Eric was at the R&R HOF in 2000.  Eric did a long interview/question session before his performance.  During the performance, you could hear how raspy Eric's voice was- he mentioned his dry throat several times, and, in a subsequent post on the subject, Eric said if he ever did something like that again, the talking segment would be AFTER the performance.  I'm betting Paul's voice just wasn't there for him because of the above-mentioned reasons.   

• Like 3

I watched a live performance from London in a smaller concert hall, and he was really straining to get the lyrics out. This was a bit over a year ago. Seriously, he sounded bad. Several friends also saw the show and had the same opinion. Almost every song sounded out of tune. Maybe his hearing is failing, and he can't tell where the center of the notes are anymore. Let's face it, his ears have taken a pounding over the past 50 years.

• Like 1