Barry Manilow ballad

James

This song is an old one, but obscure as I’ve never heard it until today. He wrote it himself. I listened to it 5 times today after happening onto it as I was kinda floored by its beauty. I am a huge fan of his ballads. He was the king of that genre.  I actually think this song is the best of the lot.  It´s that great.

It’s got a nice piano interlude that reminded me a little of "All By Myself.”

Good job Barry!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow James!

You found another knockout!  Gets you in the gut. 

Never heard this song before, either.

It reminds me A LOT of Never Gonna Fall In Love Again.

Just played it about five times myself...found it difficult to hold back tears.

Very emotional, beautiful & lyrical.

Susie

• Like 4

James and Susie, I love the piano and as mentioned before, my mother played it and it's a very beautiful piece Barry plays there but my own personal opinion is, I've never been able or even thought, let a lone related to while listening to other peoples music or piano playing that they sound a like or even resembles Eric's stuff. Thinking for myself that, that maybe because Eric is uniquely professional in a VERY high league of his own....Just my personal opinion, that's all!......Again, thanks for the share!.... 

~~~Nancy.~~~

• Like 1

It's not would not be surprising if Barry was 'inspired' by Eric- who in turn was inspired by Rachmaninoff.  Barry and Eric went to the same 'school' of music- they both use classical inspiration.  Barry's "Could It Be Magic" is taken from Chopin... 

• Like 5

Nice story Kirk! I just wasn't really feeling it there with Barry's rendition, beautiful song! And I think you know I wasn't saying or disagreeing with any others here because we all have our thoughts BUT I think it's really cool that they both went to the same "school of music"............Not to also mention, two VERY classy men indeed!.........Thanks for the info!

~~~Nancy.~~~

• Like 1

From the album "If i Should Love Again" which had the hits, "The Old Songs"," Somewhere Down The Road", which were his last two Top 20 Hits until Read 'Em And Weep a couple years later (which was his very last Top 20 hit) He released this song off that album but it made no impact on the charts, which I never understood. Great song!!  All in all a good album. It had another song called "Fools Get Lucky" which I also thought was pretty good, along with Let's Take all Night To Say Goodbye which was a cute little diddy.

Fools Get Lucky

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Like James, I feel that Manilow is a master of the ballad genre, and until now, I was unaware of these treasures.
Thank you for sharing these lovely Manilow selections.

I enjoyed all, but my favorite of your posts is If You Were Here With Me Tonight followed by Fools Get Lucky.

I honestly forgot just how good Manilow is, and several days after James posted it, I still can't get If I Should Love Again out of my head.

It just keeps haunting me.

Susie

Barry had a gift for melody too. He and Eric both recorded for Arista at the same time. I remember going to Avery Fisher Hall In New York City to the Arista Birthday Party Concert, because Eric was on the lineup,  but he didn't appear. Instead Gil Scott Heron and the Midnight Band came on in his place. I remember talking to Clive Davis who said Eric made it and was somewhere in the hall but his equipment didn't. I was so disappointed. Barry was the last act of that show. I did get to see Linda Lewis (This Time I'll be Sweeter, one of my favorite favorite songs) and my dearly beloved Melissa Manchester (Midnight Blue). I got to go to the after-party with Barry's bass player and chat with Melissa, which was really cool. I remember taking pictures and when my camera was out of film, Melissa said "I'll get you some." She said a couple of words to someone and another film cartridge magically appeared. I just loved her, and still do.

Obviously Barry and Eric knew each other and I'm sure they were very aware of each other's music. Both were classically trained, which might account for some similarities/common influences. They probably influenced each other to the degree they were contemporaries.  I still wish Eric had appeared that show.

🙂--D

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

The thread-starting link was missing, but Susie cited it later post, so I restored. Same with a few other links here… and I still have a couple others to fix. 

I’m not a major fan of BM, but there are some things he’s done that are pop classics—“Could It Be Magic” and “Mandy” at the top, for me.