GREAT Tragic Rockers

ira

When I was a kid...I knew I loved the Boxtops...BUT I didn't know that that kid lead singer...Alex Chilton was something special...

A few years back for my birthday we went to Atlantic City to the old Sands hotel to see an "Oldies" show..

Jay Proctor of Jay and the Techniques...some other act and a rare performance at this juncture of the Boxtops...

Well at "Oldies" shows acts come out afterward to sign and sell cds and make money.

I saw one of the Boxtops and asked..."Is Alex comin' out"...?

He said.."Naah...He's got nuthin' to sell"

Ya know what ?..I like honesty...even curmudgeonly honesty..

As I said..tragic guy..BUT I love Alex Chilton..

Here's a GREAT Top 20 tune...Enjoy and tell me who you like who contributed so much to pop culture but whose life was no "Rose Garden"...

• Like 2

And this GREAT Boxtops tune that if I'm pretty sure was meant to emulate the Grass Roots records that were so big at the time...

I could ALWAYS hear their lead singer.. the late Rob Grill backed by a  a few horns doin' this tune...

• Like 2

I loved Boston when I was in high school - didn't see them in concert though until they reunited in 1994 and actually came to my hometown early in their tour -if I remember correctly, Brad Delp even said it was his first show away from their home area.  It was a great concert - he was so excited to be back at it and showed so much energy and enthusiasm.  I was sad when I heard he committed suicide.  Here is "A Man I'll Never Be" - one of many great Boston tunes!

http://youtu.be/fBPlZuUkbwk

• Like 4

Jim Morrison of the Doors ---

He had a unique voice, though I do think he was a bit of a pain in the ass and irresponsible. 

Had he chosen to live his physical life a little better by taking care of himself I think we would have more songs written by him.  I am not a fan of all his songs, but enough that I enjoyed hearing him sing. 

(I'm a sucker for "Light My Fire"  :wub: )

AnneNR

• Like 5

Had a few minutes to watch/ listen to the various videos today - I seemed to remember most of the band names mentioned, but wasn't sure I knew the songs. Enjoyed listening - certainly a lot of talent!!

I did get an extra "tidbit" though - I remember "The Letter" from the Box Tops, but didn't think I knew "Soul Deep" until I listened to it! Great tune that I do remember and sure did sound like the Grass Roots!

Terri

• Like 2

You beat me to it, Terri. Have I ever told you guys I'm convinced he was supposed to be my husband? That's right. It would have happened, and he'd still be alive ... if we had ever met. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, here's the last song he recorded. Very sad.

Love,
Your Friend Who Should Have Been Cheryl Gibb 
  • Like 3

Pretender...the great debate...Are artists tortured souls....BUT in addition....didn't that crazy 60's excess +instability lead to some crazy shit...It kills me...if I'm not mistaken..didn't Terry Kath with everything to live for.. literally played Russian Roulette...

In many ways...though some great stuff came from the Hippie Era...Women's Rights..challenging the government and war..That era's cultural support...especially in the Rock world of the Drug Culture..added to Brian Wilson's mental woes and so many deaths.

Think about it..It was COOL to do drugs...

In retrospect...THAT'S INSANE....just sayin'

• Like 4

It's insane that people in their late 60s or early 70's in this day and age...are dead AND... in a much greater proportion in Rock and Roll..than in the general population...One surviving member Mamas and Papas ...The Who...50% dead...Temptations..one survivor ..."I Love Rock and Roll"...I despise the culture...

• Like 5

You beat me to it, Terri. Have I ever told you guys I'm convinced he was supposed to be my husband? That's right. It would have happened, and he'd still be alive ... if we had ever met. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, here's the last song he recorded. Very sad.

Love,

Your Friend Who Should Have Been Cheryl Gibb 

Well Cheryl, almost Mrs. Gibb!!

I had never heard this song - very sad/sweet!  Recently on one of my youtube ventures, I was "catching up" on some various BeeGees stuff - maybe you have seen it, but there are videos when Andy first meets Victoria Principal on the John Davidson show. They were neat to see - a reminder of innocence! (unfortunately to change...)

Terri

• Like 3