Choose a song for Eric Carmen to sing

susie b

Just a random idea as I heard one of my favorite 1960's love songs...

Play record producer for Mr. Carmen and select one song for him to cover, and tell us why.

This is the only rule:

1.  It has to be a song NOT written by Mr. Carmen.

My choice would be Love is All Around, originally done by The Troggs & covered by Wet Wet Wet.

Although the 1960's original & the 1990's cover are both lovely pieces, I believe that Mr. Carmen could sing it better.

The sheer beauty of his voice and his consummate emotional presentation are perfect for a song such as this. 

I have always enjoyed his cover of The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee, and I feel that he would do justice to this 60's classic as well.

Have fun playing producer!

Susie

• Like 7

This might be fun for US, but Eric is probably going to groan when he see's this topic...the worst period of his career was during the time Clive Davis had Eric singing other artists songs. 

O.k., with that out of the way, I'll take "Once there was a way to get back home"- mostly because I am intrigued by the little bit I heard of Eric singing this  song during one of the Raspberries reunion show rehearsals.  Actually, anything by Sir Paul would probably fit Eric like a glove... 

• Like 6

Hi Kirk,

Ok, point well taken.  I stand corrected! 

We will give Mr. Carmen artistic approval, and say that it has to be a song that we think that he would enjoy singing,

not one that is thrust upon him.

No horrible songs, people. 

Mr. Carmen has now been granted song veto power, and he can fire the producer at will for poor song choices.

I run an artist friendly fantasy record label. :)

Now, back to your song choice...

Nicely done!  Thoughtful selection!!!!

Would love to hear an EC cover of this classic, and I believe EC would approve this song.

Thanks!

Susie

• Like 2

I'm about to make Cayenne's dreams come true.

"God Only Knows."

How's that for thread merging? :D

"Take It or Leave It" is one of my EC favorites, and it has a Rod Stewart flavor. So I'd also like to hear what our hero does with a Rod cover. "Hot Legs" would be fun! (Kind of reminds me of Raspberries Eric.)

Cheryl

• Like 4

Wow, Cheryl!

Not that EC isn't up to the challenge, but you are treading on sacred ground with both choices.

If EC covers Hot Legs,  I volunteer my lengthy limbs for the video, & waive all agency fees.

At 6' tall "with legs right up to my neck," Hot Legs has always been one of my signature tunes!

Love Rod, too!!!!

• Like 3

Ok, in all seriousness,  this is a good topic.  Often songs have come to mind that Eric Carmen would sing well.  What came to mind today

was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"....with Eric singing it in his "Brand New Year" voice.

James

• Like 3

For some reason I am thinking WILDFLOWER by Skylark. I have always loved that song. I just love the way the song starts slow then progresses then goes back slow. The chorus is amazing. The high and low notes. Soulful and powerful. The guitar work . David Foster's first notable production.

I think EC could put a new spin on an old classic. Personally I would love to hear EC singing it.

• Like 2

I have two....one that I would have liked to have heard him sing during the berries reunion shows ("What You're Doing"-Beatles) and the second is a song that was in the movie "St. Elmo's Fire", that I will never understand why they didn't have him sing, as it is perfect for his voice and he would have nailed it! 

• Like 7

Susie...I'm on my iPad...at Caesars in Atlantic City.and don't know how to embed YouTube when I'm not on my p.c. ...But take a look at and please post if you agree.."Second Avenue" by Tim Moore or cover by Garfunkel..

Eric would take this killer song to new heights..

No B.S. my friend..I would get such Nachas..Jewish for joy...if I turned you on to this beautiful homage to love lost..and you discovered and enjoyed this lost classic..

• Like 2