Distract me

paperdoll82

My girl's in France, with no wifi. :/ She left with instructions, however, on wines to peruse and bring back to the U.S. (Thanks, Lew and Cayenne! :) )

So ... distract me. What are you doing this summer? What are you listening to or reading? What did you think the latest season of "Orange is the New Black"?

I'm working (as usual). I was planning to go to a Paul McCartney concert, but that's been pushed back to October. Also tackling a personal writing project that's been playing in my head for something like 35 years. Yes, you read that correctly. I may publish it, or nothing may come of it. But it's finally becoming more than just an idea.

(And, man, is it freakin' HOT here! Have I ever mentioned how much I detest heat?)

Still listening to "Essential." I'm rather proud of myself, because I can tell if a song is from "Essential" when I'm merely streaming a playlist of Eric/Raspberries on the iPod. It's the first time I've EVER been able to tell the difference in a remastered version. Kudos, Eric and Company! :)

Haven't really read anything, although The Girl left "The Fault in Our Stars" on my Kindle. I just don't know if I'm up for that kind of depression.

LOVED the latest season of "Orange is the New Black." Even better than last season. Bring on Season 3!

OK, next!

Cheryl

• Like 5

Distract you ?  okay . . .

I'm personally a fan of "Major Crimes" on TNT network and am happy I didn't miss the starting episode from last week on Monday.  I like that "The Closer" morphed into "Major Crimes" when Kyra Sedgwick was done with the series.  Like the different "Law and Order" series, they are able to change out the characters (though they did change the name) and continue with the story lines and maintain audience interest.

I also like   "Perception" (Eric McCormick as Dr. Daniel Pierce and Rachael Leigh Cook as FBI agent Kate Moretti)

"Rizzoli and Isles" (Angie Harmon as Jane Rizzoli and Sasha Alexander as Dr. Maura Isles)

and coming up at some point --- "Face Off" on SYFY cable channel

and can hardly wait for "Criminal MInds" on KPIX new season to begin, I just got their First Season on DVD

Yesterday, Hubby, Me and oldest daughter went out to Vallejo, California near the bay for the Northern California Pirate Festival in full costumes.    It was funny, and very stereotypical, but the absolute truth --- we were asked by some oriental tourists to take our pictures with them!!  Many booths, my favorite was the one selling Tropical Fruit Freezes -- I always order the orange flavor, and they hollow out a real orange and put a fist-full of what is the best tasting orange sherbet frozen fruit filling between the two halves to beyond full.  Great stuff!!

And the different singing groups that do "Sea" themed songs and dressed like pirates, sailors, unsavory Barbary Coast and wiley wenchy type characters is really entertaining.  There's also a pirate ship canon battle that takes place midday on the waterfront side in the bay --- very loud!!  Plenty of stuff to keep the kids amused,  Captain Jack Spareribs (he prefers Barbeque sauce instead of the Rum that Jack Sparrow likes) is always a treat to be around.

Next up will be the Pirate Invasion weekend in September during my wedding anniversary week down at a place near Gilroy, CA called Casa De Fruita at the annual Rennaisance Fair.

What kind of entertaining things happen out where you are at, Paperdoll82 ?

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 4

If I can get Hubby to download from the camcorder, I might have one or two, most of it was others taking our pictures or us doing video of the pirate singers "The Dread Crew of Oddwood"  (and I'm sure they mean that in more ways than one after hearing at least one racy pirate song on their CD that the oldest daughter bought--- they didn't perform it live yesterday as there were children present).

Check out this if you want to see what we saw ---

http://www.thedreadcrewofoddwood.com/

http://www.norcalpiratefestival.com/

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 4

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I do try and stay awake for a few series I've been following like The Good Wife,  House of Cards, The Americans, Game of Thrones, and trying to get through Salem.  I've been retired since I was 43 so I spend most of my energy on my boys, I'm officially their "slave"....lol.  I said to my son Eric recently, "ya know I'm kinda like a wife around here"  now go find your own I'm tired!

This summer I have a few home reno's going on, my ensuite bathroom is being renovated and I have a huge flooring job on the first level, taking out old ceramic tile and putting in porcelain tile and hardwood flooring...that's going to be a huge mess! 

I think I'm due for a vacation, I haven't had one since 2006 when we went to Vegas.  The flight just about killed me as I spent the first 2 days in bed so I've not been on a plane since then.  But I'm dying to get out of this house!!!!  The boys are going on a fishing trip with their dad up in northern Ontario past Sue St. Marie into fishing country.  I'll have a "whole" week to myself, oh boy what shall I do with myself?  Knowing me, the first thing I will probably do is clean the house the second the leave through the front door, and I'll get to enjoy a clean, quite house for several days.  By day 2 I will probably start missing them, god that sounds so sappy.

As much as I enjoy the peace and quite, being all alone (except for my cat & dog) can give me anxiety.  But hey, I will be able to crank up EC's Essential without being told to "turn it down" geesh, who pays the bills around here, oh ya ME!!!

Hugs bugs

Teresa

• Like 5

Anne, that's the first thing my co-workers said when I told them she was going to France! I hadn't heard of it until then, and I'm sure as heck not watching it until she's back on U.S. soil. 

We talked a little bit before she left Paris. (She's participating in an archeology field school through her college.) She told me she had eaten the best pizza she'd ever had the night before, and later that day she posted a picture of what she said was duck stew, which she declared delicious. It blows my mind — I can't convince her to order anything more adventurous than Gen. Tso's chicken in a Chinese place, and she goes to Paris and voluntarily eats duck stew. Go figure.

As for what to do here ... well, there are lots of things to do if you like the outdoors. I'm a creature of comfort -- my idea of "roughing it" is Motel 6. Air-conditioning is a beautiful thing. Thus, I don't camp. I don't fish. I don't play softball. I don't mind hiking, but it's always hot as 17 hells in East Tennessee in the summertime, and twice as humid. (A "dry heat"? Yeah. We don't have that.)

I do OK at swimming pools and beaches, but I have never been a sun worshiper. On the plus side, I have fantastic skin. Vampire pale, but fantastic nonetheless. 

Cheryl

• Like 6

Teresa, I've actually learned to love having the house to myself. Things stay where I put them, I watch what I want to watch, listen to what I want to listen to, and come and go as I please. It's a big adjustment for a few days when The Girl comes home for breaks and holidays.

I need to try watching "House of Cards." I started back in the winter, but something was going on and I couldn't concentrate on it. Now would be a good time to give it another shot.

Cheryl

• Like 5

AnneNR,

Any pics to post?

I'm not a pirate but I think I am convertible.

birdy

Yo -- Birdy !

With a taste for Punk Rock and perhaps Heavy Metal, you'd fit in just fine with the attendants at the pirate festival, and you'd probably enjoy dressing up to look disreputable in another century.  Get out the doggy collar and dust it off, Birdy, and find your inner piratess at the closest festival you can get to.  :D :D :D

AnneNR

• Like 5

birdy is wench material for the "Pirate Festival." 

And speaking of little punk girls...I just wrote on another website about how the U.S. "punk" scene was MC5, The Stooges and Ramones and let's not forget the venerable Patti Smith.  Then came the super-rough-edged Sex Pistols of course.  I lived in London for a year about 76-77 and that was quite the time.  :)

Cheryl, I can't stand bright light and I have glow in the dark skin tone...I am awaiting the season end of "True Blood" so maybe I'm a vampire at heart.  I can definitely identify with Sookie.  Southern...fell for an older guy...nice girl but a slave to romance and love...troublemaker, whether I intend to or not.    :lol:

Hoping she gets back together will vampire Bill...sigh! 

Sherrie, I was going to email you about this, but jump in and tell me what you think about the finale of Game of Thrones which I thought was was amazing!  Teresa may want to join this discussion. 

Tywin received special "FA's Day" surprises from his loved ones, eh?!  But Arya Stark is my real heroine.  The Hound taught that girl well; maybe a bit too well, but she is moving forward with her life.  I think Brienne really inspired her - damn! - she inspired me!!  Bet Arya is going to make some big noise in the free city.  I think the idea of Jon Snow with Daenerys is cool, but Melisandre kinda had her eye on him...

Otherwise, I watch mostly history and science shows.  Through The Wormhole is very cool.

Last summer I read a great book Patti Smith wrote entitled "Just Kids" about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe and how they influenced each other throughout their lives.  I would recommend the book, as Patti is a great writer and paints a wonderful picture of her trials and tribulations in NY as a fledgling artist and concerning her troubled but loving relationship with Robert.   Patti later married Fred "Sonic" Smith of MC5.

I'm beginning a book I bought last weekend entitled "Madame" which is based on a true story and takes place in N.O.'s old Storyville.  My husband's family has a long and interesting history in N.O.  This includes a French great-aunt's home in the Storyville area (I'll leave the rest to your imagination).

• Like 3

M.E.

Love GOT's the finale was good it that it left many unanswered questions to start off in the next season.  Arya is also my favorite character. Although John Snow is a close second.   I loved watching Jeoffry get poisoned to death, he's the guy you love to hate.  But I'm not sure about the Hound and Tywin, it didn't quite show their actual death, so who knows, they just may be severely injured. 

• Like 2

T,

Loved to see Jeoffrey die too!! 

Yeah, The Hound may survive, but it didn't look good and he'll be mad at Arya for sure.  I'm thinking Tywin is dead because at the end when the bell rang, I believe that was code for "king's dead."  And you'll remember Varys hears the bells and gets on the boat with Tyrion for good measure. 

The Jamie and Cersei situation is kinda icky...but she'll turn on Jamie now in a big way. 

As for Sansa and Lord Baelish, not sure if she is using him or not, so we'll see.  Since I'm strangely attracted to the guy, I won't say anything too bad about him here.  :haha:

• Like 1

Teresa, I've actually learned to love having the house to myself. Things stay where I put them, I watch what I want to watch, listen to what I want to listen to, and come and go as I please.

Cheryl

I hear ya Cheryl, my boys never put things back where they belong!  Some days I'm pulling out my hair thinking I'm losing it because I can't find things when I need them.  I'm still searching for my favorite Starfrit peeler that went missing 3 weeks ago!  So I ordered 2 from Amazon...lol.  TV isn't an issue, I bought them their "own" 50' flat screen.  But I can't listen to my music when they're around, they keep telling me to "turn it down"!!  Funny because when I was a teenager, it was the other way around, so I bought headphones!  Coming and going isn't too big a deal, sometimes I leave and they don't even know I've left.....that is unless they need something or someone calls for me then they realize I'm gone.....then I'll get a text "mom where are you"  Poor babies.

• Like 3

Is that just something with our generation? Because The Girl tells me to turn my music down, too.

And she gets in MY CAR, with ME DRIVING, and plugs in HER iPod. What the ...?

I'm buying the gas, driving the car, making the car payment, and SHE gets to choose the music? Sheesh. (Never mind that my music is better ... :D )

Cheryl

• Like 5

Cheryl,

Unfortunately most kids today are plugged into something and I have real concerns of the effect it's having on their social skills and their health.  When I was their age, I was never at home or tied to anything except maybe my stereo headphones for a bit to listen to my favorite albums.  But these days, you rarely see a young person who isn't plugged in. 

Back in 2000-03 I worked for a wireless company and sold cell phones and the "original Blackberry's" to businesses.  Back then it was mostly professionals that were using these devices.  Today seems like anyone who is 10yrs and up owns one.  But personally I don't like being that "accessible" to everyone.  When I go out, I don't want to chat on the phone while I'm doing my thing whatever that may be, my rule is "emergency contact only".  It really bugs me when I'm in a store or restaurant and I hear phones ringing or people talking out loud during their phone calls. 

People need to get back to getting together and have face to face conversations & interactions. LOL...but then again, look at us here without the technology we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Hugs,

Teresa

• Like 5

GREAT post Teresa! Yes, it's rare to see a person that is not "plugged in" these days. I hear people comment they couldn't LIVE without their phones. Really?! I will admit I've come to love my smartphone, but have lived without it before & could do so again if need be.

redd

• Like 6

I'm actually quite curious to see how The Girl has survived without wifi. I know her dad is paying dearly for her international data plan, and she's staying off it to keep from hearing him complain to the high heavens. (The man is a cheapskate extraordinaire.) She LOVES her iPhone, so I know it's killing her to not have access to her friends. 

Cheryl

• Like 2

I do a lot of texting but it's intermittent.

Off and on over the last few months because of work at the house, a dead laptop and the last week or so an AT&T problem with a transformer, I've not had internet connections at night. 

I will survive and live to post another day.  ;)

• Like 3

Wow, you ladies were posting fast and furious yesterday.    Sorry I have been missing a bit from the action.   Trying to get the AC system in the house working again in this ridiculous DFW heat.   I hate it.    But anyhow.......GOT finale......awesome!   I hate that it will be a year practically before it comes on again.    Cayenne suggested I watch True Blood.    I am going to give it a try this summer.   Also, on HBO starting the end of July is a series beginning called OUTLANDER.    A co-worker who has read the books said it will be good.    So tune in with me, ladies!!

sherrie   :)

• Like 3

FINALLY got a text today! She's doing great, but no wifi is killing her. She'll probably be on the computer non-stop when she gets home. LOL

Sherri, I have friends who have read the "Outlander" series, and they love it. I'd tune in merely based on their recommendations.

Cheryl

• Like 4

Cheryl,

Sounds like The Girl is going through "Tech" withdrawal symptoms! :P  We had only landline phones when I was a teen, and it was at home --- and ONLY ONE in the entire household.  She must think that it's like living in the stone age without her techno gadget.

AnneNR

6  6

__/

• Like 3