Best Teen Angst Records

ira

A few more songs that come to mind.

"and dreams were all they gave for free, to ugly duckling girls, like me."
—"t Seventeen" (Janis Ian)

For me this was one of those songs that I swear she wrote with me (and most young girls) in mind. Thank goodness for makeup, weight loss and the confidence and wisdom that comes with age. If only I could go back and tell that 17 year old how amazing her life would be, but I know she'd never believe me.

"I cried a tear, for nobody but you."
—"A Teenager in Love" (Dion and the Belmonts) even though I first remember Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart singing it.

"I like to see you, but then again, that doesn't mean you mean that much to me."
—"I'm Not in Love" (10cc) ---The ultimate denial song, teenager or adult, it doesn't matter.

As for "Let's Pretend"... to me it will always be about simple innocent love, because, when I first heard it I was extremely innocent and very naíve. But then again, I can still be naíve at times, so I suppose that somethings will never change. 

• Like 6

"We've come too far to leave it all behind, how could we end it all this way"

"If You Leave Me Now" (Chicago)

Everything about this song is passionate and heart breaking. I LOVE the violins!!!
:wub:

For me this hits home as "my" teenaged angst song. It was the first song that I heard when I woke up on Sept. 16, 1976, and it spoke volumes about how I felt as I was about to move back East with my family, and I was about to leave behind the life and friends that I knew in San Antonio.

I thought my world had ended that day. Teenaged drama, I know...I was only 14, and I was in pain. And when I hear this song, I can still feel every moment of that day in TX, even until today.

• Like 5

One of my favorite CDs to play (especially when I am upset and want to vicariously rid myself of "angst" of any type) is the TEARS FOR FEARS'  "Songs From The Big Chair", three songs in particular, though the whole album does it for me.  Roland Orzabal has a strange and strongly emotive voice. . .

SHOUT

"... IN VIOLENT TIMES
YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SELL YOUR SOUL
IN BLACK AND WHITE
THEY REALLY REALLY OUGHT TO KNOW
THOSE ONE TRACK MINDS
THAT TOOK YOU FOR A WORKING BOY
KISS THEM GOODBYE
YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO JUMP FOR JOY..."

EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD

"...I CAN'T STAND THIS INDECISION
MARRIED WITH A LACK OF VISION
SAY THAT YOU'LL NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER  NEED IT
ONE HEADLINE WHY BELIEVE IT ?

ALL FOR FREEDOM AND FOR PLEASURE
NOTHING EVER LASTS FOREVER
EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD..."

HEAD OVER HEELS

"...YOU KEEP YOUR DISTANCE WITH A SYSTEM OF TOUCH
AND GENTLE PERSUASION
I'M LOST IN ADMIRATION COULD I NEED YOU THIS MUCH
OH YOU'RE WASTING MY TIME
YOU'RE JUST --  JUST    JUST WASTING TIME

SOMETHING HAPPENS AND I'M HEAD OVER HEADS
I NEVER FIND OUT TILL I'M HEAD OVER HEELS
SOMETHING HAPPENS AND I'M HEAD OVER HEELS
AH DON'T TAKE MY HEART
DON'T BREAK MY HEART
DON'T -- DON'T     DON'T THROW IT AWAY . . .  "

Everyone in the household knows when I'm trying to get over something emotionally, if this CD is playing (loudly, cranked up high).  They usually let me be until the repeated playing at loud levels of this CD stops.   :D:P

AnneNR

• Like 3

Just an aside for you, Paperdoll82 ---

Your last post here got me to thinking, so I engine searched interviews given by Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal.  Interestingly enough, Curt mentions in one interview when questioned about writing songs that "teen angst" was something they had back then ---and their songwriting was not that easy for them.

I guess like other phrases in the English language, "teen angst" has morphed beyond what it was more popularly known to mean.

A very curious social observation, indeed, from you!  ;)   Thanks for the brain stimulus.

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 2

When I first saw this topic, I was overjoyed because I understood angst and punk rock as a teenager.

But I was gobsmacked to read the song titles of cute, charming Oldies like "Leader of the Pack", "My Boyfriend's Back" and "It's My Party and I'll Cry".  I remember "Little Diane" after hearing the first few notes. I like a lot of those songs but I didn't realize they were "angst".

I listened to "Last Night" on my new cd. I guess it's angst.

The song, "I Crashed my Car and I Don't Care" is angst. Cutting gets a lot more attention. I'm sure there are songs about it.

"My Generation" is an anthem.

"I Hate Myself for Loving You" as Joan Jett tried to reclaim her GIRL POWER after Steve Jones tricked her with those 3 little words.

Most Ramones songs are anthems for teenage angst. I thought the Ramones were the first to write about teenage boredom ("Sniff Some Glue") but I'm probably wrong.

That stupid Green Day song.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" another anthem.

"Creep" by Radiohead. Not about a normal kid feeling geeky but about an ugly, dumb kid  who realizes that his future holds nothing but misery and a job pushing a broom.

"I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats. A beautiful song (musically) about the first school shooting. She asked for a radio for Christmas and her dad gave her a shotgun instead. It didn't occur in the Midwest but many Midwest kids receive guns as gifts.

"H-A-T-R-E-D" by Tonio K. I like that it spells it out like "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers. I can imagine the anarchy cheerleaders from the Nirvana video saying, "Give me an "H"!

b-I-r-d-y

• Like 4

Speaking of the stranger side of angst, anyone hear of the group FOSTER THE PEOPLE and their song "Pumped Up Kicks" ??

It's about some kid taking a gun to school.   Melody's great, then you start paying attention to the lyrics. . .

AnneNR

• Like 1

I looked up Foster the People on YouTube. They were on Letterman! And clean-cut looking young men, too.

Maybe it isn't angst anymore after it becomes about violence? Idk.

Some of my favorite songs are: Violent Femmes' "Kiss Off". Sublime's "Santeria". Offspring's "Self Esteem". Blink 182's "Adam's Song" ("Please tell Mom, it's not her fault.") I think they are all angst ridden.

By the way, I won the autographed "Starting Over" cd! I spent my last $26 on it. Why? Because I heard Eric says the "F word" on it.

Eric Carmen, saying the F word?! Now if that isn't angst, I don't know what is!

• Like 3

I looked up Foster the People on YouTube and they were on Letterman! Maybe it isn't angst anymore after it becomes about violence. Idk. Some of my favorite songs are: Violent Femmes "Kiss Off" Sublime "Santeria" Offspring "Self Esteem" Blink 182 "Adam's Song" "Please tell Mom it's not her fault" Moral of the story: Don't raise your kids on punk rock. The teen angst period is a bitch (OMG! What have I done?!) And I won the autographed "Starting Over" cd. I heard Eric says the "F word" on it. Now, if that isn't angst, I don't know what is!

• Like 1